Site suggestion

Genoism

Rating tracks is an oft-rejected idea. That takes out the discovery aspect of the site, where you're encouraged to listen to all music, not just what other people arbitrarily decided they like more because it's their favorite game/genre/remixer/composer/whatever. It could also be very discouraging for new remixers whose skills are passable for the site but not quite up to the level that someone who's been making music for a decade or more can do. This site isn't a place where remixers compete for listeners, which is exactly what a rating system would turn it into.

More search options is a good idea, tho.

There is little discovery right now honestly. Mainly because the default is sorted alphabetically, so actually the biggest promotion goes to the people at the top of the alphalist.

Regarding new artists, there can always be a "discover new artists" or something along those lines.

Though frankly for me, the new artists are always discovered via the homepage where all new mixes are posted.

Let users rate music 1-5 star, then let people view by most popular music. Perhaps add a bit more searching capabilities such as most popular, most viewed, hottest(most views in past week), etc

http://ocremix.org/info/Frequently_Asked_Questions#Why_aren.27t_the_ReMixes_ranked_by_popularity.2Fratings.3F

We've never ever done toplists or ratings since they would just skew toward the most popular games. But we finally got smoking gun evidence of that assumption after I saw Ormgas's Top 100 list of OC ReMixes as voted on by the fans. /shakes head - All just Mario/Zelda/FF/Chrono Trigger... you know how it is, the usual suspects. And those are awesome mixes, but yeah, it's just underscores why popular voting will never dictate what gets accepted. Nostalgia bias is a powerful thing. :-)
There is little discovery right now honestly. Mainly because the default is sorted alphabetically, so actually the biggest promotion goes to the people at the top of the alphalist.

Regarding new artists, there can always be a "discover new artists" or something along those lines.

Though frankly for me, the new artists are always discovered via the homepage where all new mixes are posted.

Alpha nav may make a comeback. We're also (slowly, just like everything we work on :-) working on expanding the tagging system to integrate genre/mood/instrument tags into the site, but that's a ways away.

Something randomly promoting new artists could be cool. I'd love to hear more ideas about discovery that aren't best/toplists/most popular.

Something randomly promoting new artists could be cool. I'd love to hear more ideas about discovery that aren't best/toplists/most popular.

You could have some sort of randomized "track of the day" featured at the top of the homepage/top of the forums, in the space between the "about forums games" line and the "thread title" line, perhaps complete with the ability to play just the song (no video or anything) while browsing the forums. Maybe moving up the Remix Roulette on the first page would help too.

A random discovery queue with a writeup of a lower-profile remixer (old or new) with a mix or two to check out would be cool. Needn't be limited to remixers either. it could cover a game that has a few remixes but few downloads, or a composer, or franchise, or genre... basically a system that highlights the more rare stuff. Doesn't have to have writeups, it could just be fully automated and just list the stuff ppl don't seem to know about.

Could I suggest some sort of livestream?

Pick an artist/game/series/OCR Album at random and play songs from it for an hour or so. Put a little thing on the front page saying what will be showcased that week along with the time and place and you'll probably get quite a few people just putting it on in the background while they work, and they'll find some cool new music that way.

I mean... you guys are doing talkback, and thats really cool and i'm happy for you but OCR makes the best MUSIC of all time, and I suggest that you utilise your livestreams to promote that, rather than just talking for 2-3 hours.

Also, Rainwave: http://ocr.rainwave.cc/

• 1 month later...

Nope, we're never ever going to do this. From the FAQ:

Why aren't the ReMixes ranked by popularity/ratings?

We try to maintain a high level of quality in reviewing submissions, and believe that the music posted on OCR sets a benchmark in its representation of the non-commercial game arrangement community. However, there will always be pieces that some people may not like due to a ReMix's genre, game source, level of interpretation, etc.

We encourage experimentation, curiosity, and an open mind. We don't believe a rating system, or segregating out the "good" mixes by an arbitrary or democratic factor, would support that ideal.