Your real name : David Michel Donais

Your email address :

Your website : N/A

Your userid : don't have one

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged : Doom

Name of arrangement : Escape From Phobos

Name of individual song(s) arranged : At Doom's Gate

Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. : Already there

Link to the original soundtrack : Already there

Your own comments about the mix : I just started playing the doom riff on my guitar for the hell of it (pun intended) and I was looking for a project to start because it was the holidays and I had nothing better to do. Since I'm a big fan of 80s synth sounds and the whole recent movement of modernizing it I started playing around with the theme and merging it with various synth chords and progressions. The initial project I made was incredibly awful so I started over and this was born and I'm pretty happy with the result.

--------------------------------------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

I have to vote no on this mix simply because there is no recognizable source use until 2:39, then it is over by 3:30. There needs to be some reference to that melody way before then. You can find unique and varied ways to bring that melody in, using synths or whatever, it could be brought in right over the soundscape you've already got here. We need to be able to identify the source melody in a minimum of 50% of your mix (but it's always a good idea to shoot for more).

What you've got here sounds great! I love the 80s feel, and your production is really nice. My only concern is when the guitar comes in, it feels like it's in a totally different space from the crisp synths you have going. You've got a lot of reverb on the guitar, making it feel more distant than a lead should sound, maybe that's it. At 2:39 when the source motif begins, the hats and wide-panned synth are much more upfront than the guitar, and that feels a little odd. Otherwise I really like this production.

Please find a way to bring that source melody into the rest of the song, at least prior to 2:39, one extra shot of motif in the final section wouldn't hurt but may not be necessary. I really like this.

NO (resubmit please!)

On the production side, I also thought the guitar being mixed both in such a lo-fi way and behind the synths and beatwork didn't make much sense to me, and the tone of the beats didn't mesh well with the guitar. It wasn't a dealbreaker issue, just something that didn't sound cohesive, IMO, with the beats seeming so tepid while the guitar rocked out. Maybe something with a little more density to it could layer together better (and also serve to briefly vary up the beats).

As far as the arrangement, I'm co-signed with Chimpa and OA. The VGM source material should be at LEAST half of the arrangement so that the video game music is the dominant part of the track. We have that rule so that we don't post mostly original writing with small bits of VGM weaved in.

Unless we're missing something as far as other Doom themes being used, you're doing your own thing for most of this track and it has nothing to do with Doom except 2:39-3:30. There's nothing inherently wrong with that approach, because it's the music you want to make; it just falls outside of our arrangement/source usage standards.

NO

Edited by Liontamer