OCR tracks crashing my WinAMP??!!?? [FIX FOUND!]

BorgMan

OK... I seem to have a little problem here. My WinAMP crashes while loading the massive OCR 3000 playlist. I am fairly sure, however, that it's not the size of this thing that crashes it, but rather a specific file. It crashes as well with Big Giant Circle's 'In Your Prime', CN's 'Power-Up' and Audix's 'Samus In The Inferno', which are all from the VARIAtions album. This behaviour is new; it hasn't done this before. Anybody got an idea? I'm running WinAMP v5.666 Build 3516 (x86), without any plugins...

Help? Pretty please?

[EDIT] Found it. James George's Visions of Kin, #1530, crashes the program. As soon as WinAMP tries to format it to it's own standards and tries to display the runtime, BAM! Adios WinAMP. I can't really figure out what's wrong with the file, though, or why it causes WinAMP to go haywire...

Edited by BorgMan

A few years ago, I had a similar problem with a number of ocr tracks not importing into iTunes. Turns out that the problem was something called mp3 validation. In some way, the files were broken. There are programs out there that repairs broken mp3 files. Not from everything, but some problems, like this validation issue, are easily solved with one of those. Can you grab one of those programs, run it on the file, and let us know what it tells you and whether the file works afterwards?

I suspect unofficial albums, like VARIAtions, weren't run through this validation process before being released. All the official tracks on the site, however, should be validated and healthy, but it never hurts to check. Could be an older batch or something, too. See if validation helps, let us know if it does.

Also, your sig says you're ignoring the crash. Stop contradicting yourself. :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
OK... I seem to have a little problem here. My WinAMP crashes while loading the massive OCR 3000 playlist. I am fairly sure, however, that it's not the size of this thing that crashes it, but rather a specific file. It crashes as well with Big Giant Circle's 'In Your Prime', CN's 'Power-Up' and Audix's 'Samus In The Inferno', which are all from the VARIAtions album. This behaviour is new; it hasn't done this before. Anybody got an idea? I'm running WinAMP v5.666 Build 3516 (x86), without any plugins...

Help? Pretty please?

[EDIT] Found it. James George's Visions of Kin, #1530, crashes the program. As soon as WinAMP tries to format it to it's own standards and tries to display the runtime, BAM! Adios WinAMP. I can't really figure out what's wrong with the file, though, or why it causes WinAMP to go haywire...

Sorry that I missed this thread. I can't speak to the formatting of the VARIAtions tracks, since that wasn't formally released through OCR (we should re-release it), but I just downloaded "Visions of Kin" and had no problems with it on Winamp 5.666 or 2.95. Was it a copy from the latest torrent set or it is an old copy? Try downloading a fresh copy if you haven't already.

It's possible an old copy had MP3 validation issues like Rozo mentioned, but even then I've not seen files like that crash Winamp or have difficulty playing. Lemme know if any more information turned up on the issue.

• 1 month later...

This problem keeps popping up every now and then for people so I thought I'd post the fix that was found by someone named truekam on IRC:

"Hello friends! I promised that if I found anything about those three tracks earlier. I searched a little deeper in the WinAMP forums and found an updated in_mp3.dll file that replaces the one in the current version. Apparently, the one that ships with the current program download contains a bug that crashes on some ID3v2 tags."

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=156839#known2

Download: http://forums.winamp.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=51004&stc=1&d=1392169896