*NO* Sonic Unleashed 'Neverending'

Chimpazilla

Looks like my last submission, "What We Left Behind," just got posted! Guess that makes it a good time to submit something else, right? Here's a little mix from Sonic Unleashed, with some vocals to shake things up. Yeah, I've got a thing for Sega games.

Download:

Here's the requested info:

Contact Information

Aviators

Tyler Shaw

http://soundoftheaviators.com/

Submission Information

Sonic Unleashed

Neverending

Endless Possibility

Original Song:

As much as I'd hate to be labeled as "that guy who remixes Sonic games," I'm back with my second Sonic remix, and second game remix overall. Sonic Unleashed is a game that really left me torn between love and hate at the end; I was disappointed with the game in itself, but the music is freakin' awesome. I mean, the theme song to the game is by Bowling for Soup's Jaret Reddick. I took his uplifting fast-paced theme and gave it a delightful DnB twist here. It's like Pendulum on a sugar rush, with some of my vocals to make things interesting.

Original Soundtrack Info:

Original Composer: Jaret Reddick

System: Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Wii, Xbox 360

OST links:

--------------------------------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

A pretty conservative take on this source, same structure and lyrics, but I love the sounds you used and your vocals are very nice. I have a couple of concerns though. First, this mix is mastered LOUD. It's not distorting, but it is a waveform sausage and lacks dynamics as a result. There's very little in the way of timbre changeups, the instrumentation remains the same throughout, while not a dealbreaker it does make the mix feel repetitive. The mix is drowning in reverb, and for ME to notice that is really saying something (I love reverb). The drum writing gets quite repetitive, I wish at the very least that the kick pattern would do something different at some point... and all the drum writing (with the exception of a couple of fills/transitions) is the same throughout. The kick has a very prominent click that almost sticks out too far against the super reverby soundscape. At 1:53 there is a synth lead that really sticks out and sounds dry against the reverby soundscape, and it takes the focus away from the vocals.

I like this mix, and the singing is really great... but I'm feeling like my production crits put me right on the borderline. I'm gonna hold off and see where others feel this is, is that cheating, yeah.

edit 11/8/14: Ok, vote time. I'm gonna lean towards asking for a resub and have you reduce the overall compression. I'd also really like a little less reverb, at the very least on the vocals. Maybe the kick's click won't feel so out of place then. I really do want to hear this one back quickly, it's a really nice track.

NO (resubmit)

Edited by Chimpazilla

Slower pop-ballad version of the original punk track. Some interesting choices here.

I noticed immediately that there is too much compression across this mix. Everything sounds too blended together, and there is a bit of pump. This may be coming from your master bus compressor, I'm unsure - but there's definitely a compression issue. I would also pull back on hitting the limiter so hard. The combination of the two is not leaving you any dynamic room for the track to breathe. The drums and vocals can be heard quite well, as well as the occasional lead synth, but a lot of other elements are lost underneath. I think a combination of pulling back on track/master compressors and the limiter will sort these things out.

The vocals and harmonies are a nice touch and are performed well. I'm actually going to go as far as saying they're better than the original track.

Arrangement wise you're following the original quite closely, but I think you've done enough for it to not be taken as a straight cover.

I like the creativity here but I think what this really needs is a remaster to make everything more audible and less crushed. If the production is fixed this would be a Yes.

NO (please resub)

Edited by Jivemaster

I agree with the other judges that the compression is making this sounding less dynamic and exciting than it could. There arent hills and valleys as much as a paved-over parking lot.

The synth comes in after the first chorus is a little piercing as well, I'd tone down the 2khz range a bit, as otherwise the synth is pretty sweet.

The arrangement is good as a genre shift, and the vocals are good. I actually think they should come out in the mix, though if the levels are adjusted in a way that reduces the compression overall, they might come out more naturally.

Needs some polish overall, but the components are all in place; it just needs a bit of tweaking.

No, please resubmit

Edited by OA