A Tribute To Donkey Kong Country

IgorF

Hello dear awesome music makers!

First of all, thanks and congratulations on your brilliant collective work!

More specifically, I wanted to tell you about a project I've been working on for the last several years, A Tribute To Donkey Kong Country!

And for this project, you've been a great help even if you don't know it yet!

The aim was to try to do a Donkey Kong game in high definition, trying to keep as much as possible the look and feel of the original Donkey Kong Country game from Super Nintendo. At the time of its release, just 20 years ago, the game was really beautiful and had incredible graphics. Rareware, the original developer, used renders (pictures) of their 3D models of their characters and backgrounds as 2D elements so that the Super Nintendo could display them.

I thought that now, with the power we have on modern computers, I could create a game with 3D models as detailed as what they used in the original game, but displaying them this time in real time 3D.

DK_DIddy-300x168.jpg

So I went on modeling in 3D the most famous characters of the DKC series, animating them, and creating brand new levels in the Unreal Development Kit.

render-300x168.jpg

I finally created a full remix of the original game, and I will release on December 1st the first world of the game, that will include 8 new levels!

This game is a tribute to the Rareware and Nintendo folks who created an incredible game 20 years ago.

I created pretty much everything that is in the game, except the music, and that's where you folks come in!

All the excellent remixes of the original DKC games inspired me, including the 3 incredible remix albums, and it was really difficult to chose only some of the songs to put in the game. I credited all the one I used on this page of the game website :

http://atributetodkc.com/?page_id=51 Every song is linked to its ocremix page (when available).

In-game, it's also credited like this when the level starts:

Music.jpg

So I hope I respected the OCRemix terms of use, and that everybody will be OK with the use of his brilliant work in this fan-made and totally free game!

So thank you SO MUCH Acadia Percussion Ensemble, Archangel, Aetherius, bustatunez, Cody Wedel, David Wise, DiggiDis, djpretzel, DCT, Emunator, Flexstyle, halc, Harmony, Hemophiliac, JJT, Level 99, OA, Protricity, prophetik music, Robin Beanland, Theophany, zircon and zyko for your awesome work!

I hope you'll check the website again on December 1st for the release, and like the game!

Truly yours, a fan,

Igor

PS: if any of you is against the use of his work, or if you want to send me a different version, let me know!

--------------------

Update : The game is now released!

You can download it here:

http://atributetodkc.com/?page_id=15

Edited by IgorF
Game released!!

Yes the framerate on youtube isn't great but it's because I recorded the game on my laptop and it's not that powerful for rendering a game and recording and compressing a 1080p video at the same time :)

When you're playing the game, it's super fast !

• 4 weeks later...