OCR01484 - Star Control II "Lightyears Away"

djpretzel

Thanks for making this. I like it a bit more than the first one you submitted, which had really piercing treble at points. I had to turn the volume down in my car to like 12 instead of 20. The best thing about it is I could never get this melody out of my head when I was listening to the original songs a long time ago. It's like part of my brain now, and a piece of its history. It's a simple progression that repeats, yet pleasing to my ears. Plus there's a ton of varying and accompanying percussion and...stuff so it doesn't get TOO repetitive.

There is a free clone of this game called The Ur-Quan Masters if anybody cares. It's a pretty fun game actually. And the hyperspace is one of my favorite tracks! well done.

This is no small coincidence. You see, Mark Vera is a member of The Precursors, the group responsible for remixing the Star Control 2 soundtrack in order to be used in The Ur-Quan Masters. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing makes me happier than seeing a new SC2 remix up. It's always good to give such a fantastic game some more publicity. PLAY STAR CONTROL 2 NOW AAAA

Aside from that, I love this rendition of Hyperspace to death. So good.

• 1 month later...

This is an awesome job Mark and thanks for working on the Ur Quan Masters as well. It was great to play Star Control II again.

My favorite track out of that game is the Vux theme. Maybe you can remix that next when you have time if you like it.

Keep up the great work!

• 1 year later...

This reminds me of the song at the end of Revenge of the Nerds... ONLY IN SPACE!

Catchy 80's goodness with creative synths and lots of drum fills, it is super retro, and works really well with the source. The backing synths switch up [retty frequently, keeping it fresh, and the percussion is punchy and varied. No auto-pilot on this one.

In some ways though, the sounds are too married to a specific era, as I can easily imagine this as a soundtrack to a high school movie set in the era, but not really anything else. Still a nice track though.

• 1 year later...

This mix really moves, mostly due to the very tight, very abundant drumwork that drives it. Energy levels are constantly in the danger zone, which is exactly where I like them to be (Kenny Loggins reference unintended.)

And speaking of things that are painfully 80s, I get that vibe here. This really channels those 80s synth-based bands like Depeche Mode, which is good and bad on different levels. It can be bad because there are a lot of not-so-flattering connotations that come with the territory, so instead of conjuring images of a retro sci-fi universe, it may result in images of Corey Haim. Never voluntarily, might I add. But on the flipside, connotations or no, the music is still good. There may be a confusion of contexts for me, but I still appreciate the hell out of how this sounds in a standalone way.

Melodically, it's a one trick pony. But I think the magic in this is the fact it doesn't once even teeter on the edge of becoming stale. As my favourite of Vera's Star Control 2 remixes, this seems to incorporate the shining elements of the past mixes to the greatest possible effect. It's catchy, versatile fun and a superb end to Mark Vera's series of SC2 submissions.

• 3 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01484 - Star Control II "Lightyears Away"