OCR03015 - Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 'Saria's Drop'

djpretzel

FL SLAYER IS IN THIS?! :lol:

I have to agree, this is worthy of being called 'awesomesauce'. I mean, some of the leads were pretty piercing (lots of FM basses turned into leads can be pretty painful, and that seems to be what kind of lead that is at 1:29), and the (of course) fake guitar can be offputting, but I think they work in this context, somehow... The wubs were woven in cleanly, so I like that. Nice and diverse tones. Ending was kind of abrupt for me. Sounds a bit like something I guess I could call complextro, in a sense. Overall, great adaptation to the genre. I would personally have liked less bright highs and less high end clutter, and a less abrupt ending, but other than that this is pretty solid. I think this is on the accessible side of dubstep. :-P

omglistenlistenlistenspam

Edited by timaeus222

The track is nice overall, though it doesn't live up to what I expect from a typical dubstep mix, which is good and bad. The track is definitely well crafted, which makes it stand out. The production quality is pretty good as far as I can tell. As far as the parts I didn't like go, I think the sound effects from the game work against the track more than it helps. To me, they're distracting, somewhat cheesy, and make it difficult to focus on the actual music. While clearly "dubstep," I also felt the mix was too conservative in its wubs. The "drop" felt like a small dip in a road and was rather lackluster for me. Overall, the track sounds good to me and I enjoyed listening to it the three listens I gave it. But what's preventing me from putting it on my playlist is that it's in an awkward space in between what I want out of dubstep tracks and other electronic genres such as house or trance.

Awesomesauce indeed. The lead was a little sharp to me, but other than that minor issue, I really liked this one. The use of the SFX and little jingles were sweet and the wubs were added in tastefully with the help of the main melody. Zelda's theme helped even things out. There are times when I love dubstep and other times when I really don't, but this is one of the better dubs I've heard in a while, so great job, especially near the end of the track with the wubbed-up "Hey listen"'s that you threw in. Not bad at all.

• 7 months later...

Holy crap, I can't belive I missed this track! It's plain awesome! The section 0:45 - 1:14 sounds a bit muddy for me, but this approach still works very well. It's probably the most cheerful dubstep I've ever heard and it's also one of the most hard-hitting electronica tracks on OCR. Let me say this once again: IT'S DAMN AWESOME! The creative usage of in-game SFX is great as well, especially the butchered "Hey, listen!" vocal clip. And the drums here are fantastic too! This is certainly a sick debut. I hope GlacialSpoon will submit more stuff :)

• 6 months later...