OCR03189 - *YES* Metal Gear Solid, Assassin's Creed 2 & AC: Revelations 'Never Go Away'

Chimpazilla

edit 2/23/15 - DJ Mystix has asked that this track be posted in the normal posting cycle and removed from the album, as the album is going very slowly. Too good a track to have it sit indefinitely. Can't blame him!

edit 1/2/15 - Brandon has asked DJ Mystix if this song could be included in his "super secret" album project and DJ Mystix has agreed... (couldn't fit the word PROJECT all the way in the title)

YouTube:

SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/djmystix/never-go-away

Vocals: Claire Yaxley
Violins: Chris | Amaterasu
Lyrics & Arranged By: Dj Mystix

Contact Information:
Your ReMixer name: Dj Mystix, Claire Yaxley, Amaterasu
Your real name: Mansoor Nazar, Claire Yaxley, Chris Woo
Your userid: 11757 (DjMystix), 47187 (Princess Clairey), 35078 (Chris | Amaterasu)

Submission Information:
Name of game(s) arranged: Metal Gear Solid, Assassin's Creed 2, Assassin's Creed 2: Revelations
Name of arrangement: Never Go Away
Name of individual song(s) arranged:
Metal Gear Solid: The Best is Yet to Come
Assassin's Creed 2: Ezio's Family
Assassin's Creed 2: Revelations: Title Theme

Composer(s) :
Metal Gear Solid: Rika Muranaka
Assassin's Creed 2: Jesper Kid
Assassin's Creed 2: Revelations: Jesper Kid

System :
Metal Gear Solid: PlayStation
Assassin's Creed 2: PS3, XBOX360
Assassin's Creed 2: Revelations: PS3, XBOX360

Sources breakdown:
00:00 - 01:00 : Assassin's Creed 2 - Ezio's Family
01:01 - 01:14 : Original Writing
01:15 - 03:43 : Metal Gear Solid - The Best is Yet to Come
03:44 - 04:29 : Assassin's Creed 2: Revelations - Title Theme
04:30 - 05:50 : Metal Gear Solid - The Best is Yet to Come

Sources:
Metal Gear Solid 'The Best is Yet to Come':

Assassin's Creed 2 'Ezio's Family':

Assassin's Creed 2: Revelations (Theme):

Artist Comments:-

Claire Yaxley:
I was, of course, delighted for the chance to work with DJ Mystix again. I love the mood he creates with his remixes, and this one was no exception. I got the chance to experiment with a different side to my vocals; a softer, gentler, more vulnerable side. It's completely different to what we've done before, and I'm proud of what we've achieved.

Dj Mystix:
"The Best Is Yet To Come" is one of my most favorite videogame tracks of all time. I have been dreaming of creating a vocal version of this song for years. My biggest issue was writing English lyrics for the song because I'm not good at it. I finally decided to give it a try and have Claire provide her amazing voice for this. As usual, she has done an incredibly job and far exceeded all expectations I had for this remix. She made the song 100 times better than what I could do on my own. On top of that, Chris's excellent violin skills lifted the mood of the track. His improvisation in the ending sounds perfect.

As you guys know already by now that I really like to mix multiple games in a mix :) Both AC2's themes seemed like a perfect fit for this track.

We have really spent a lot of time on this track. Initially, we recorded the song with the original key but it didn't sound very nice so we decided to start from scratch and re-recorded the whole track in a different key. Claire and Chris has done an amazing job her and I really feel super lucky to get a chance to work with such talented people.

This is mainly a remix of "The Best is Yet to Come" (MGS). Just wanted to mention this to help you guys decide what game to tag it to IF it gets through the panel :)

We hope you like our effort and enjoy this remix as much as we did while working on it :D

Happy New Year :D

Lyrics: (Not a translation)

Dreams of you, so real, so true
When holding your hands, I flew....
Stars are bright, the skies are blue
I'd love you the whole night through...

Near or far, wherever you are,
Your love touches me, I feel new...
Freeze the time, and make you mine,
And always pray, to be with you...

Lying to myself, that I could go on,
With you on mind, my love would be strong...
What will I do, I'm lost without you
Crying in my heart, wantin' you

You're so far away, but always with me
I wander alone, I hope you could see
Holding forever, your memories...
Makes me smile, sets me free

I can't go on, It's been so long
How I wish you could hear me say..
You're every thought, you're everything
Step in my heart, and never go away...

Calling your name, to hold you again
It's been so hard, I miss you every day
Bring back the time, when you were mine
I'm so alone, since you went away

I can't go on, It's been so long
How I wish you could hear me say..
You're every thought, you're everything
Step in my heart, and never go away...

MGS:

AC2:

ACR:
Edited by djpretzel

I find this to be a gorgeous mix, the vocals are great, the soundscape is full and the violin parts are lovely. I think the sources are well represented, I love the new lyrics and the three sources are smartly interwoven. I considered this as a DP... but my main production issue here is I think the vocals are mixed too loudly. This continues for the entire mix and it feels distracting to me. It is probably a very easy fix and will make this a YES from me. (if other judges don't find this to be a problem, I'll flip my vote)

edit 12/2/14: lost laptop, unrecoverable files... blarg... well I thought this would be a super easy fix to make this track perfect, but if this is the final FINAL track, it's much too good to pass up. Changing to yes.

YES

Edited by Chimpazilla

• 4 weeks later...

Just a note, not that it changes anything, but there will be no update on this due to the source files being lost. (And Chimpa's now a MAN, BABY!)

Actually, hey, here's Chimpazilla's vote.

[Chimpazilla's vote]

Could you possibly tweak the volume of the vocals relative to the instrumental? If you send me a link, I'll make sure we vote on a tweaked version. If you don't want to touch it, that's OK too.

Larry,

Thanks for the update. You might've noticed I haven't sent in any mixes lately. I actually lost my laptop and was too lazy to build another one for music production. With that, I lost all my music files as well (although still recoverable from the HDD but I haven't done that yet). Short story, unfortunately, I can't update this mix anymore.

Second thing is, quite honestly, I'm shocked to see a NO on this one. Not meaning to sound like an arrogant jerk but I strongly believe in this mix and made it with a lot of heart. Plus, Mr. Chimpazilla himself says so, loves everything about the mix and yet gives it a NO because the vocal levels are not in line with his liking. The judges I know on OCR would never do that :)

I have huge, huge respect for you Larry. If you also think this is a NO, then I will accept it with no objection. But I really can't do anything about it anymore. I wanted to change the snare myself actually :)

Have a great day :)

Simply stunning track here. Vocals sound fantastic. Solidly produced track. Arrangement is really well thought out an executed as well.

Minor nitpick: sounded like a little distortion during the transition at :59 with the levels being pushed a bit too hard. It happens a few times later in the track as well. Gotta watch that... assuming you plan on writing music in the future with a new machine (hope so!).

Vocals are a bit loud, but wasn't a big deal to me.

Not much more to say. Fantastic.

YES

I flipped to YES. Sorry about your lost laptop and files. No hate intended, I DO love the mix... I did think it was a quick fix and I was shooting for perfection with the track since it is so good. No way would I just let this go with a NO.

When in doubt, don't shoot for perfection. The bar'll never be that high. :lol:

I'm agreed the vocals are mixed too loudly, and don't sit in the soundscape in the best way possible, but I'll co-sign with others that I didn't hear anything dealbreaking in the mixing. No vote, because I haven't analyzed the arrangement myself, but enjoyable piece!