OCR01485 - Secret of Mana "Dueling Consoles"

djpretzel

The idea of dueling consoles is very nice, but in my opinion, this duel-theme is only audible up until 1:58, i.e. for less than half of the mix. I think it would have been more true to its name if that part had been longer.

That being said, I still like the mix. It's just mindblowing what happens from 1:59 on.

...I think I was just audially fondled.

So do I, like, tell somebody or something? I'm confused.

Some stuff happening...I can't think of a friggin' adjective to put there. It's just, like, five flavors of cool. Frick, the beginning had me. I'm a fan of crazy. Like, Bela-Fleck-meets-Chris-Thile-on-stage kind of crazy. So, you totally hooked me at the beginning.

And then the clock struck two. And, you blew my mind. I've never heard that song before, so it was a brand new experience for me...and, I love it! Yes...drop another whole step...yes, another fourth...deeper it goes, you know?

Anyways...yeah, I'm still looking for the other half of my brain, so I'll get back to you on how cool it is.

...I think I was just audially fondled.

So do I, like, tell somebody or something? I'm confused.

It's o.k. your not alone. You're safe here.

I was also blown away by this song, but it took me a few listens to get into it because I became a little bored with the intro so I straped myself to this chair and forced myself to listen to it whole and now I can't stop listening to it!

I don't care about faithfulness to the sound of the original consoles. This mix rules.

It's so diverse. Never repetitive. Tons of harmonic exploration, enhancing on the original melody. Tons of changes in style, tempo, feel. Pieces of melody are transposed, reinterpreted, cut in half and spliced back together. Absolutely captivating all the way through. This mix overflows with creativity - it's not simply new clothes on an old piece, it's like he crumbled the old piece into bits and threw it into a giant pot.

This is like my favorite mix on this site in recent history.

Wow! Nice piece! It's a very techno type piece so be forwarned if you don't like that genre of music. It starts off with a "retro" banjo homage of the song and then goes (albeit jarringly) into a very fluid sounding techno track. I just love listening to this part. The beats sound as though they are flowing across my ears. Very awesome.

shuballbaa (I hope I got that right now..)

Rofl

Okay I'm guessing that I didn't get it right this time either..

But anyway I just gotta say that the more I listen to this song the better it gets! Once again great work Shnu *checks winamp*...... Shnabubula! Hah! :)

• 9 months later...

A bold piece. Not many words can describe it. It takes a gutsy artists to undertake such a challenge. It takes an excellent artist to make it sound good. This is a reminder that you do not need the best sounds ever to make a memorable piece. This did not suffer at all from the limitations of the instruments, instead it took these limits and exploited them to create a unique musical experience. It is one of the few pieces that I love but cannot loop. As with a great chocolate cake, this piece may be too rich to have too much of. (And frankly, this made my reviewing a lot harder because I loop songs I review while I post.)

The pure genius of it though is rather amazing. And the source material was extremely hard to work with. SoM has such a unique soundtrack and the boss battle theme always seemed like one of the more complex, if not a little underrated. To take such a complex song, and to give it such a unique treatment is an incredible accomplishment.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Just like you said! The first feeling to mind is the sega genesis and nintendo competing against each other, then finally they put competition aside and work together in a very energetic way. Sure it drags on a little near the end, but who cares! This is such a great piece with so much effort into put into it that im sure no one would mind!

Also, I just have to go along with what Radical Dreamer said :mrgreen:

• 1 month later...

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet...

This is, hands down, my favorite OC Remix. It is utterly amazing. The concept is brilliant (I have this idea in my head of some fantastic music video featuring the NES and Genesis in their epic duel and then coming together to fight some ridiculously easy Secret of Mana boss, like Mantis Ant) and the song is absolutely wonderful. This has given me a tremendous appreciation for the original song. I never previously cared for "Danger," considering it one of the lesser pieces on the soundtrack, but hearing this remix has given me a new respect for the complexity and fascinating nature of the piece.

Thank you, Shnabubula. This is freaking awe-inspiring to me.

• 1 year later...

Around every corner at OCR, there's always something new and different to jump out.

I'm still having a little trouble mentally reconciling the NES and Genesis soundchips intertwining and interweaving. It sounds so bizarre.:shock:

I like how at 1:59 both just explode into the rest of the mix.

This mix is definitely worth listening to for the experience of how unique this mix actually is.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's an interesting specimen, I'll give it that. How it started, I really thought of it as average, interesting, but not particularly memorable. However that wasn't the case when it hit the 2:00 mark, that's when it exploded into something awesome, full of manic energy. It worked for a good portion of the song, but as the song progressed, it lost quite a bit of that energy that snagged me in the first place and it ended up sounding tired at the end. I have a difficult time thinking on whether or not I would recommend it to my friends, but I tip my non-existant hat to you for trying something so daring. A fairly decent job. I certainly enjoyed it

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01485 - Secret of Mana "Dueling Consoles"