OCR01486 - Mega Man 6 "Fortress of the Knight"

djpretzel

Since listening to Vurez's work with the other seven boss themes of Megaman VI, I've been waiting a while for this particular remix. Let me tell you, I am not disappointed. This was definitely worth the wait.

I love the overall interpretation. The only thing that felt strange to me was the very last note-- it felt a bit cut off or something. Like maybe it should have been held a little longer.

Vurez, you've made my day. I am so happy. Thank you! :D

when i first started listening to this remix i didnt think i was gonna like it it starts off a little slow for my tastes, but then the tempo picks up and this becomes a really enjoyably song. I especially enjoyed the guitar in this piece. The overall song is very well done its got a noble sound to it but then the guitar just makes it sound kick ass. awsome job dude!

Wow, just starting off this mix i was thinking that i was honestlly gonna suck. Thank goodness i decided to listen more. It just got better and better. I was sceptical from the start because i never played mega man 6(the only one i never played). Amazingly enough i was still imrpressed with the song. Very well done and keep up the good work.

It took a while for this remix to get into serious business, it sounded so sad in the beginning but luckily some pwerful strings appeared to add some more power to the arrangement.

The variety among the instruments used surprised me. Sure, it's a castle, but when I started to hear church bells I got a little baffled. And let's not forget the electric guitar, probably not the best choice since it's a medieval theme we're talking about here, but elements that deliver some serious kickass cannot really go wrong anywhere.

Great remix, good to see that your remixal talent isn't going to any waste. :D

I can tell that some people do have their reservations with this remix; personally I think it's a very well-executed piece that brings to mind some of the more popular symphonic metal performers (which I sall not name to let the reader draw their own conclusions).

All in all it's a powerful piece that evokes the proper sense of wonder and enchantment, which I would liken to visiting Disney World and seeing more than just the castle.

The electric guitar was a nice touch, reminding the listener that this is the future but that chivalry can still survive in an age dominated by machines and impersonal computers keeping us connected as a society.

I've come to appreciate Vurez's distinct Greek-spaghetti-western style, if you pardon my atrocity of a label. But at the same time, I felt it was getting a little stale, that he wasn't trying to grow anymore. I saw this mix and thought to myself "Hmm, another MM6 mix from Vurez. I bet I know what this is going to sound like."

I was WRONG.

This mix totally caught me off guard. Nice additions of electric guitar and symphony hits. I don't know what else to say. This is your best work to date, Vurez, keep it up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Megaman 6 doesn't stick out in my head for it's soundtrack, but Vurez has the ability to transform a mundane piece of music into an unforgettable masterpiece! What he has created here is dramatic, exciting, and just plain KICKASS! Wow! His other remix of MM6 - Flurry of Frozen Fury - is top-notch as well. Both are at the top of my favorites list!

For this remix, it is most definately a 10/10 for me. keep up the good work man. :D

• 3 months later...

The volume of the many things seem out of place. Overall there's a nice loud air of reverb thing going on which I like. The arrangement is good too, which is what inspired me to come here and review it while listening to it being played on the latest vgdj episode.

I still say your Yamato Man mix from VGMix is the best, mainly because the original melody is one of my favorites ever. I highly suggest submitting that here, either as is, or making it more intense. I always have to turn the volume up to max :o. Other than that, don't stop making music when you can!

• 1 year later...

Brass is a bit loud, but this is stellar stuff. Great samples and atmosphere, and it's a good theme, with an excellent treatment.

The chugging guitars in the rhythm with the nice brass hits and the choir sound great great, and the lead guitar is good as well. The sound quality says to me sampled, but the nuances say performed, so honestly I have no idea on this. Either way, it's very effective and sounds good. The drums are the weak link, but with so much going on, it's pretty easy to let that slide. If they were any busier, the song would be overly cluttered, and right now there is a lot packed in there. I actually think a bridge or something that wouldn't have so much going on would have made this even more effective, but it is still a great mix.

A super nice surprise. :-)

Recommended.

• 1 year later...

A bit hit and miss for me, only because I don't think it always achieves its ambitions. As symphonic rock this is decent, and to be sure, it never falls into substandard levels. However, the superior rock sections seemed a little marred by all the orchestral effort put into things. Don't get me wrong, I like a little infused orchestra as much as the next man, but not when it competes with the driving power of the song.

There's some great sections of electric guitar work, and it shows that a lot of thought went into what this mix would be and how it would sound, but I personally think for all the brass and the strings, it's really only distracting from the star of the show. Maybe a reshuffling of emphasis on certain aspects would have satisfied me a little more.

As it is, it's a competent and interesting take on the theme and definately showcases a lot of talent. Though I can't say I thought it soared, due to what I percieved as a confusion of power. Minor gripe to some possibly, but I couldn't get past it. Well made all the same.

• 10 months later...

The opening solo viola/violin was not my favorite in the intro. Being so exposed, it felt nasty. But then the swell into the driving marcato brass. Great intensity there. The e guitar was a really nice addition. The ethereal female choir sounded great in there and I loved the brass stabs behind the guitar solo. This has a great cinematic quality to it with all of it's dynamic shifts! I wish the drums would have had a little more punch to them as they would have made the kick ass mix even better. The rock orchestra fusion is certainly NOT lost on me. I am an avid fan and Vurez offers a great example of just such a mix. Good job!!!

• 2 years later...

Knight Man has always been one of my favorite Robot Masters and I've enjoyed his theme a lot as well. Vurez manages to take that slight "medieval as Mega Man could get" feel and give it a boost. The vocals and the rocking bits sounded great, but some things sounded a tad off or loud. In the grand scheme of things though, I loved this ReMix.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01486 - Mega Man 6 "Fortress of the Knight"