Non-paying gig for Political Radio Show

Hyperion5182

I've lurked and posted around these forums for quite a while. But i don't believe i've ever had a chance to post anything like this thread.

I'm posting on behalf of Sam 'Politibunny' Janney. Host of Red White and Bunny. On twitter she has over 35k followers none of them bought. Her show was formerly called Politibunny on the attack. They're part of We Are America Radio. I will admit they are openly conservative/libertarian and if the political differences are too much for you guys then you can stop reading and move on.

But if you think you can work with a great woman who's shown nothing but Class i ask that you read a little bit more.

Among the changes coming to this Woman's life is as i stated a New and revamped Radio show. The music this website constantly produces is utterly magnificent and with a new show we think a new Theme Song is appropriate.

This piece will likely for copyright issues with streaming need to be a 100% original piece. You'll need to be comfortable around bunnies wielding chainsaws. (Her Trademark) Occasional harsh language as well.

This will most likely be a Pro-Bono class job, however the exposure this will give you is significant WAAR is not a small force in the political circles and the show is growing in both audience and presence. I'm damn proud to call this woman my friend and i'm now reaching out to you guys on her behalf.

If anyone here is interested in what should be a very fun project for both you and your client contact her on Twitter: @Politibunny using my name (Hyperion) or through me if you prefer not to use Twitter and we'll get this project started.

Alternatively you can contact her at: politibunny@gmail.com (E-mail)

Edited by Hyperion5182
Adding E-mail address at The Bunny's request.

In b4 composer bitching about doing free music for exposure. It's a surprisingly hot button subject, as though exposure is somehow completely worthless.

I've got some themes and things that aren't being used, but they're more on the retro end of things. What KIND of music are you looking for?

That's her decision not mine. I'm only posting this to inform of the Opportunity

She was originally going with Gashouse Gorillas but that never seemed to fit right imo.

HOWEVER: If i had to guess i think she'll be looking for something Patriotic but Fun. probably with a few of her choice quotes mixed in. Or a Couple quotes from others. (Her first Theme song had a couple of lines from Monty Python (Holy Grail))

She wont be looking for 'Star Wars' or uber serious. Depending on the sound Retro might just work with her.

Pro-Bono

I want you to take a second and imagine you are talking to just about anybody else -- a plumber, a lawyer, a teacher, a doctor, literally anything other than a music composer -- and imagine you offered them the "opportunity" to provide their services to you for free.

Does the above scenario sound ridiculous?

It does?

That's because it is ridiculous.

In other words,

Edited by Geoffrey Taucer

I want you to take a second and imagine you are talking to just about anybody else -- a plumber, a lawyer, a teacher, a doctor, literally anything other than a music composer -- and imagine you offered them the "opportunity" to provide their services to you for free.

It does?

http://healthjournalism.org/blog/2013/01/free-dental-services-try-to-help-the-uninsured/, yeah, truly ridiculous how professionals sometimes remember they're human and don't always need to put a $$$ sign on every action they do. I read the other day about this doctor in North Dakota who took pity on this sick homeless woman and treated her for free out of the kindness of his heart. Now that fucker has single-handedly driven up medical costs around the country! My anti-depressants cost $700 now! That's how this stuff works, right?

In any case, this makes me want to contribute all the more just to put out the reminder that art is not always about the money... except if its like a Monty Python style march or something, I have no interest in doing something like that. Might as well try to find public domain marches or Creative Commons stuff by then.

It does?

In other words,

...Wow. Just wow. Coming from YOU? Is your coaching gig a Volunteer thing or do you have aims at actually being on the Olympic staff at some point?

Because a Lawyer? They do cases Pro Bono.

I knew i was goi9ng to get this kind of crap response from some people but you Taucer? No I didn't expect that.

In b4 composer bitching about doing free music for exposure. It's a surprisingly hot button subject, as though exposure is somehow completely worthless.

That's because there are valid complaints. No, exposure is not completely worthless. But most of the time people are asking for free work, they are not giving you exposure that is worth the opportunity cost. I would consider this "opportunity" to be such a case. But that's up to the individual to decide.

Besides, there's a legitimate concern of perpetuating the undervaluing of musicians. I think we can all agree that's a real problem.

http://healthjournalism.org/blog/2013/01/free-dental-services-try-to-help-the-uninsured/, yeah, truly ridiculous how professionals sometimes remember they're human and don't always need to put a $$$ sign on every action they do. I read the other day about this doctor in North Dakota who took pity on this sick homeless woman and treated her for free out of the kindness of his heart. Now that fucker has single-handedly driven up medical costs around the country! My anti-depressants cost $700 now! That's how this stuff works, right?

This is a ludicrous comparison.

There is a clear and obvious difference between doing pro bono work as a working professional and soliciting unpaid labor from said professionals.

Safety-net clinics and pro-bono law work are not the same as "opportunities" for musicians, so let's please not pretend they are.

By the way, "pro bono" doesn't simply mean free. It means "for the public good".

Yes, there are opportunities for exposure that are worth taking for little or no pay. But what fraction of solicitations of free work are those really?

If anyone finds value in this opportunity, they are free to take it. Each can decide the value of their work and the opportunities available to them on his or her own.

EDITING IN:

A clarification on how I don't believe this "exposure" is worth it. 35 thousand Twitter followers sure sounds impressive, if you're just running a private Twitter account, but compared to really high exposure channels? But how much exposure is that really? Anyone in PR/social media stats/analysis will tell you that not all of those subscriptions translate into attentive followers, and only a fraction of those translate into actual regular listeners of the radio program. Then consider the demographics of a niche/novelty conservative radio program. What ages, what professional fields, what people is this reaching? Is this a political or professional demographic you are trying to reach as a musician?

"Significant" exposure, "not a small force", "growing in both audience and presence" are not confidence inspiring statements when soliciting free work. I'm not trying to be an asshole, but I think questioning the value of such an opportunity is a legitimate course of action. I'm not reading about an opportunity that would excite most composers to jump on board for the exposure. I'm reading the usual doublespeak from someone trying to oversell themselves and wrangle free work from professionals.

Edited by ArmadonRK

...Wow. Just wow. Coming from YOU? Is your coaching gig a Volunteer thing

No, it's a full time job requiring extensive expertise and it pays accordingly.

or do you have aims at actually being on the Olympic staff at some point?

No, I have no such ambitions. I coach for a variety of reasons, and one of those reasons is that I have to pay rent and buy groceries.

Would you go to a lawyer and offer her the "opportunity" to represent you pro bono? There's a difference between somebody volunteering their work and you soliciting work for free. When somebody offers to work for you for free, you should be damn grateful for it and respect that they are probably making an exception for you. It doesn't mean it is then acceptable to then go and ask other people to do the same thing.

I'll do free work for charitable non-commercial organizations, and that's it (and even that only if I have the time for it, which I usually don't).

I knew i was goi9ng to get this kind of crap response from some people but you Taucer? No I didn't expect that.

My apologies for considering musical work to be worth more than $0. I don't know what could have possibly come over me to make me think such a ridiculous thing.

Edited by Geoffrey Taucer

I'm actually in the business of lawyering, which people have analogized this request to. I might be kind of peeved if someone was coming to me personally and directly for free services after all the hard work I put in to get here. But if it were an open call for any interested persons to come help--like this thread is--I wouldn't have a problem with it. I'd just ignore it if I wasn't interested.

Respectfully, I think if you're not interested, you could just not respond. There's no need to discourage people who are interested in helping by mucking up this thread with a big derail.

I've moved this thread to Recruit and Collaborate. It doesn't belong in Community.

I've also renamed this thread to more accurately reflect what's being asked for. This is no way an "opportunity."

In any case, while I personally can't recommend taking on this kind of gig for the promise of "exposure," people are allowed to make requests for non-paying work on this forum, so I'll ask folks to respectfully abstain from any further discussion of the topic.

I'll also advise anyone reading this (especially Hyperion) that asking for free work and framing/promoting it as an "opportunity" is not a good idea. There are few words that make artists more wary than "for exposure." It's better to just state upfront that the gig is non-paying and to leave it at that.