Dwelling of Duels - December 2014/January 2015 - Dance Month!

Ivan Hakštok

So, here are the Batman Month results!

Throw your batarangs in the air and light your bat signals! Here're the results of The World Greatest Detective Month!

#1 Affection State, SJ Van Damme - Batman (NES) - Dream Of Hurt - good -0.25

#2 VankiP - Batman (Genesis) - Chemical Museum - above average +0.47

#3 Ivan Hakštok - Batman (NES) - It's Not Over Until It's Game Over - above average +0.45

#4 GearX2 - Batman Returns (NES) - Eye Of The Batmann - above average +0.39

#5 Harmsing - Batman Forever (Genesis) - Solving Riddles - above average +0.35

#6 creepue - Batman (NES) - Lab Story - above average +0.29

#7 Nestalgica - Batman: Return of The Joker (GB) - Caped Crusader, Clown Crusher - above average +0.2

#8 Leandro Abreu - Batman: Return of The Joker (NES) - Confusing Way - above average +0.14

#9 Andrew Struve, Johnny Kick, Tim Lydon - Batman: Return of The Joker (NES) - Music, BAT Music - above average -0.09

#10 http://cookiegamemusic.bandcamp.com/]cookiegamemusic - Batman (Genesis) - In The Sky - above average -0.21

#11 Katamari - Batman (GB) - Too Many Bats - above average -0.23

#12 HellWill - Batman: The Animated Series (GB) - The Frozen Penguin's Battle for a Batcookie - above average -0.33

#13 Boroda-kun - Batman Returns (SMS) - Quiet Crunch of Breaking Bones - above average -0.34

#14 Claude D. - Batman Returns (NES) - Speed Metal Chase - above average -0.45

#15 valence - Batman: Return of The Joker (NES) - Batman's Train Wreck - average +0.29

#16 TwoJan - Batman (Genesis) - In The Sky Over Gotham City Streets - average +0.29

#17 newip - Batman: Return of The Joker (NES) - Freeze or Die - average +0.2

Voters: 26

ALT

HellWill - Batman Main Theme

Congratulations to Affection State, SJ Van Damme, VankiP and Ivan Hakštok!

Welcome to Dwelling of Duels, cookiegamemusic, newip, HellWill (we forgot the last month mishap) and WOAAAAAH Johnny Kick and Tim Lydon of Year200x!

Thanks everyone for a solid month!

Also, nine (!) entries from Russian artists this time. Apparently, Bats is Russia's national hero!

Download and stream the updated entries:

THE SONGS

THE ZIP

As for the next month, it's DANCE MONTH! Get your finest swings, discos, rock 'n' rolls, or maybe even EDM! (hey, as long as you have a live instrument or vocals, it counts!)

Next month is the annual MAGFest duel and the theme is..

Dance Party!

14-12-Dance.jpg

It's a Free Month with a twist: your song should be made with a dance in mind. Whether it's club techno, lindy hop or baroque dance, the entry has to make people at the listening party get up from their seats and move their bodies in a beautiful way.

Did I say listening party? Oh yes, The DoD Listening Party will be held live at MAGFest 13 on January 23rd.

Songs are due: January, 20th, 2015

Send your entries to dodsongs@gmail.com

The banner is made by Emily Holland of Game-Art HQ artists community.*

HI-REZ VERSION

So remember the rules, main instrument must be live. Songs submitted for this compo will be played during the DoD listening party at MAGFest, so expect lots of people dancing to the sound of your music! I don't know about others, but that's more than enough motivation for me to enter! :D

I'm gonna go ahead and start spamming this until the week before magfest. Honestly if OCRemix of all places doesn't bring a strong game to a VGM Dance Remix competition, I'll be hella disappointed.

Do not let DoD beat you guys in a dance music contest!! You have till Janurary 20th. Live elements can be something as simple as keydrums. IF YOU ARE COMING TO MAGFEST YOU SHOULD ENTER THIS DOD!

I love you all.

I'm gonna go ahead and start spamming this until the week before magfest. Honestly if OCRemix of all places doesn't bring a strong game to a VGM Dance Remix competition, I'll be hella disappointed.

Do not let DoD beat you guys in a dance music contest!! You have till Janurary 20th. Live elements can be something as simple as keydrums. IF YOU ARE COMING TO MAGFEST YOU SHOULD ENTER THIS DOD!

I love you all.

I'll help with the spamming! And I promise I'll dance in my room during the listening party! :mrgreen:

I love you all.

Wait, so finger drumming is allowed? I shouldn't have left my Maschine at my parents' house...

I have some more questions. Does the live part have to be all in one take, or can we stitch together multiple takes? Can it be like a 16-bar loop, or performed all the way through? Are we allowed to collaborate with other people? Like, can one person compose the music and have another person perform it?

If anything, I feel especially well positioned for this DoD-specific theme and would feel really bad if I didn't make something extra special. Planning is already underway for my entry! :D

I'm waaaaay ahead of you, already got 3 minutes of midi. I need to make up for last year's 14th place :mrgreen:

Wait, so finger drumming is allowed? I shouldn't have left my Maschine at my parents' house...

I have some more questions. Does the live part have to be all in one take, or can we stitch together multiple takes? Can it be like a 16-bar loop, or performed all the way through? Are we allowed to collaborate with other people? Like, can one person compose the music and have another person perform it?

Live part can be in as many takes as you want. I usually record my leads in sections, so I end up with around 10 recordings anywhere from 10 to 30 seconds in length. And I see no problem with looping a live part if it's long enough, but it's always better to ask the people in charge (https://twitter.com/dwellingofduels or on the forums: http://dwellingofduels.net/forum/index.php)

And yeah, collaborations are more than welcome. In fact, last three MAGFest compos were all won by collabs.

I'm expecting lots of great entries! :D

Live part can be in as many takes as you want. I usually record my leads in sections, so I end up with around 10 recordings anywhere from 10 to 30 seconds in length.

Oh. I always thought that if you have, say, a rhythm guitar part you have to do the full song in one take. Which of course is a bit more difficult. Well. Lowers the barrier of entry for sure.

Ok, so I've got another question. Say I were to record vocals, and then chop them up vocaloid-style (with at least some sections intact), would that be usable?
I was about to ask the same thing. If I record a piano part, can I chop it up or reverse it?

Not so sure about these, there were songs with chopped up/reversed parts in the past iirc but they also had some other parts played live. I'll forward the questions to streifig :)

Ok, so I've got another question. Say I were to record vocals, and then chop them up vocaloid-style (with at least some sections intact), would that be usable?
I was about to ask the same thing. If I record a piano part, can I chop it up or reverse it?

It all depends. Is this the only part that's not sequenced? Is there another instrument playing (a part of) the main theme? Did your live part became quantized and lifeless as the result.

The "live" rule exist to prevent the submission of full electronic songs, but of course there is always a grey area. Like, the live part can be recorded in parts or punched-in, there can be some processing. As long the song retains some "live" feeling, it's all okay. Common sense is your best friend here.

Edited by streifig

It all depends. Is this the only part that's not sequenced? Is there another instrument playing (a part of) the main theme? Did your live part became quantized and lifeless as the result.

The "live" rule exist to prevent the submission of full electronic songs, but of course there is always a grey area. Like, the live part can be recorded in parts or punched-in, there can be some processing. As long the song retains some "live" feeling, it's all okay. Common sense is your best friend here.

Yeah and also keep in mind people may be listening for the live performance so if it's not there you might get lower vote. :3

• 3 weeks later...
I hope you guys are all working on entries, and that this ends up an actual dance party. Get a strobe light in there and we can all have a great time! Do we know when the party actually is, or are we still waiting for a final schedule?

I'm almost done with mine. Me and Snapple almost convinced Sixto to enter :<

Btw, I think streifig said the listening party is friday evening, after mag prom.

• 2 weeks later...