*NO* Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening 'Disappearing Dream'

Chimpazilla

Hello- this is a revision to a prior submission. I had originally sent this submission on 12/4/13, but I know that it is still buried in the queue of submissions. I made some major improvements to the arrangement, and I would very much appreciate it if you could please consider this track to be my ONLY and FINAL version of this arrangement.

My name is LindsayAnne Pepper and I would like to submit my arrangement of the "Ballad of the Wind Fish" from Link's Awakening, a Legend of Zelda game. I have named this piece "Disappearing Dream." I have loved this melody since I played the original Link's Awakening back on my GameBoy 20 years ago. After attending the Symphony of the Goddesses concert, I was inspired to write my own arrangement of my favorite Legend of Zelda melody. I hope you enjoy it.

Contact Information

Your ReMixer name : LindsayAnne Pepper

Your real name: Lindsay Anne Pepper

Your email address:

Your website: N/A

Your userid : 4624

--------------------------------------------------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

The Ballad of the Windfish is a lovely source. I hear just the first three notes of the source in the intro until 1:03, but after 1:03 the melody is readily apparent. This is a very soft interpretation of this source, too soft... the majority of the track is mastered at -30db, with only a couple of louder sections. The outro only hits at -40db... I actually thought the track was finished but then I heard something... more music... wow is it quiet. I find the dynamic range (specifically the long stretches of extreme quiet) in this track distracting.

The other issue I have is with the string articulations, they sound noticeably fake, most obvious in the intro where they are the most exposed. The track overall feels very empty and all the instruments seem muffled and lifeless. I get that you are going for a sparse and emotional feel, but it just feels like there needs to be more development somehow.

Also, the file that was included with the email was an mp4. I converted it to an mp3 at the quality of the original, which turned out to be 128kbps. We need a 192kbps or VBR1 mp3 for accepted mixes.

NO (resubmit)

Chimpa nailed it with the nitpicks on the dynamics and the volume. The arrangement is pretty, once it really kicks in, but could definitely use some TLC on the mixing side to really bring it out. I'm thinking that even something as simple as improving your reverb could help some of the articulation issues, although you'll obviously need to add more than that.

Make it louder, make it clearer, and make the instruments more believable, and you've got yourself a mixpost.

NO (resub!)

I think the arrangement's a pass, but yes, the string and brass (biggest offender, 2:28-2:57) sequencing being exposed/unrealistic pulled this down. It actually sounds relatively strong/serviceable, so it's not like this is poor, but sections like 4:09-4:25 where the timing was noticeably stiff occurred a few too many times. Like Flexstyle said, it may be a case were some reverb tweaks could mask those issues.

The final section at 4:36 was very quiet, but beautifully written and with stronger execution/realism. All the woodwind areas sounded solid, if that's any consolation, it's just that the string articulations underneath strained for realism at times. I did agree the final section sounded too quiet; it kind of came across like a straight up cut of the volume rather than quieter playing.

The arrangement itself was relatively conservative, but personalized well, including some nice subtle cameos of the main Zelda theme. It's promising stuff, LindsayAnne, and I think you could pull this off with these current samples, but this needs another level of production polish to pull it over the line. Posting this in the Post Your Game ReMixes! or Music Composition & Production specifically for production advice could be of help.

NO (resubmit)