A new DAW-n

So FL is coming to Mac, without all the bootcamp hassle and it feels good for the chance to partake of one of the Best (?) workstations out there, judging by how many people around here seem to be using it. Which got me thinking, How many workstations do you use? How many would you like to use? Which ones? Why? Would you recommend it/them? Is it wasteful to have more than one? Master of one or Jack of all Trades? What do you use and is there one program that's your bread and butter and all else are given second billing? This goes deeper than a technical level. Does having more than one hamper creative or amplify it? Or does learning every nook and cranny of one DAW transcend any need for features and tools that maybe exclusive to Reason, FL or what have you? Hmmm...FL 12 not coming out for a bit so got some time to think, so any thought are greatly appreciated.

one last thing, I know print is on life support, but are there any good books on working with your work stations? any recommendations?

No DAW does everything perfectly. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. I started out with FL, but moved to Cubase. Cubase is great for orchestral writing and scoring to picture, as well as recording audio, all of which I do a lot of these days. I find it's really nice for writing electronic/hybrid stuff as well. So for me, I couldn't be happier. One thing Cubase doesn't come with are a lot of stock instruments and effects plugins, as opposed to FL, which does. So if you're looking to save money and make use of stock instruments (as well as take advantage of the overall much lower price of FL), FL is attractive in that regard. And FL is a nice DAW overall too, but it's simply not ideal for the type of work I do and the workflow I prefer. And that's really what it comes down to in the end: finding one that fits your workflow and offers the path of least resistance for your creativity.

Edited by Neifion

I need a DAW with robust scripting capabilities (beyond just basic macros), because that's the only way I can set up a MIDI editing workflow that I like. Sonar works for me in that regard with CAL script, but only just barely -- CAL is slow, buggy, and outdated. I'm looking into the possibility of moving over to Reaper because its scripting looks better.

I do most of my work in FL, but I've recently purchased Pro Tools and have been borrowing a Mac with Logic X on it for a while. I used to be certified in Logic and Pro Tools way back when, and so I'm trying to see if they're adding something new to my work flow. I'll say this: I'm still convinced that FL's piano roll is the best one for writing music in, but multitracking and mixdown duties are probably best handled in Logic or Pro Tools from what I'm finding.

I love FL Studio, for everything except automation. The automation is pretty garbage, and I'm saying this as a 7 year user. :< It's unorganized and can very easily clutter the workspace. Some common sense things like volume and pan you have to generate clips for (if you want one per track, you have to do it for every track too. That's a lot of clicking), drag them, resize them, and get them to sit nicely on the playlist view. It's a hassle, and it really doesn't need to be, considering other DAW's do it for you just fine, where you just select the parameter you want to automate from a list and it has a special lane switch-view that doesn't clutter the playlist. You can do makeshift lanes in FL too, but again, all manually, where the clip window will stack them in an unorganized fashion that you have to fix up yourself. I would suggest making a template and having your lanes premade, so you don't have to deal with this bullshit every time you start a project.

That being said, the mixer is great, the MIDI editing is wonderful, and I really jive with the step sequencer for drum programming.

I use Studio One as my main DAW now, and I ReWire FL in to get access to my favorite tools and techniques only possible in FL. It's a perfect marriage, so I don't get bogged down by FL's flaws and I can still utilize the things I love about it.

Edited by Neblix

I started with FL Studio and have since tried out Ableton Live, Logic and Cubase AI. Well, the only one I really could work with other than FL was Ableton and I'm currently considering trying it out once more, even if the MIDI editing was not as good as FL's. Logic wasn't bad, but since I don't have a Mac and using a VM for a DAW is tricky at best, I've never really gotten into it. Cubase is not bad either, but AI is too basic for my needs.

But Neblix is right, Automation in FL Studio is a real PITA

Started off using FL back in the day. Excellent piano roll! But everything else was such a click fest it slowly killed me over time like a bad relationship. After trying out almost every DAW under the sun I use Studio One now and love it.

Also for anyone who likes Live but hates its piano roll try out Bitwig and/or Studio One. Bitwig is super similar, Studio One has alot of the seamless drag n drop controls from Live.

At the end of the day you just gotta find what DAW jives with you the best.