Bonus Room Blitz- I've Got Your Back!

YoshiBlade

So if there was ever a song I've wanted to remix it was this. Just something about the simple 28 secs that seems to chant " You've got this! Com'on I've got you Back! Let do this thing as a team!" I needed that group feel to it with the sampled stomp and clap, like a whole bunch of people behind you are there cheering for you. The song progresses in a" I-think-I-can, I-think-I can, I-know-I-can, I-Know-I-can!!!!" manner. The chip style synth....Hmm I'm still figuring it out, but I like the simplicity and honest feel the chirps invoke, it's as if the rack is saying "I'm not trying to be a Massive synth....I'm just me lil'ol synth 101(Maelstrom)"

remix- https://soundcloud.com/yoshiblade1/going-bannas

original-

(my Favorite room ^^^^^)

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

You know you could just PM a mod, right?

Yes actually you've helped me with that in the past timaeus ;) , but I like the public discourse where as one person might say the Kick is too loud or someone else says the kick is fine, but the synth needs less reverb and a third person might say the synth is fine but the kick is too loud. I general look for the points that arise most frequently, with regards to criticism, for sort of statistical approach to what should be addressed  

To be fair, you don't seem to have it tagged as a "mod-review".

Done and done

Isn't it more confusing that way? Couldn't you look at the artist's accepted OC ReMixes if there are any, and go off of what you think of them production-wise? Or, you could see if you agree with them; popular agreement doesn't really indicate who is most accurate (there's that one phrase, "the ignorant masses"). Make your own judgments too. :P

Track starts off sounding like the newbiest stuff ever. But I like the instrumentation. I like the sound. Nothing wrong with blatantly chippy and simplistic synths, if used right. Drums fall somewhere in between appropriately simple and plain newby. An old drum machine sound and oldschool tracker drums are two possible options for the drum sound design. This falls somewhere in between, and doesn't quite work. The drums ruin the aesthetic the synths have, and makes it sound more newby than chippy.

That said, there's performance-invoking things you can do even with chippy synths. Level changes between notes, for example. There's a certain appeal to the raw mixing, but I think it needs a touch more balance in track levels.

The rhythm around 0:30 seems to invoke Minecart Madness. Cool.

There are some bizarre spikes in the soundcloud track overview, and I have no idea what's causing it. They might be a problem. Hard to say.

Source usage is clever. It reminds me of Israfel's Glass Cage, which is one of my favorite tracks. The structure of your track is a bit weird, though. There's plenty of cool things in here, but I have no idea where the track is heading, and the track seems just as clueless as I am. Having a climax, a grand finale, a reprise of a "chorus" would give you something to build towards. I see nothing wrong with the 2:25-end part myself, but most of the stuff before that have been random cool things, which does not make for a cohesive arrangement. Not to write your arrangement for you, but having a clear chorus part there and going from there into the 2:25-end part would give a bit more direction to the track. All the parts before that chorus could then build towards it, teasing the listener with pieces of it. It's one possible structure for the arrangement.

Cool take on the source, nice synth aesthetic, raw mixing, aimless arrangement, ill-fitting drums.

Also, why haven't I noticed this thread or received a PM about this track if you've been awaiting a mod review since April?