OCR01488 - Star Fox 64 "V to the X Power"

djpretzel

I felt like the difference in volume was a bit too much. But other than the issue with the dynamics, I'd say an all around good remix.

You guys that don't understand dynamic contrast.

Go join an orchestra or something.

That or beat up all the band and orchestra directors and judges in the world (or atleast the state of texas) for emphasizeing how KEY haveing a wide dynamic range is to make good and dramatic music.

Oh yeah, awsome remix, I love it.

Lylat Wars was the name of the game in the European market due to a trademarking issue. It was known as Star Fox 64 in the US and Japanese markets (not sure about Australia).

I am thankful for the responses to this mix, partcularly the ones that pointed out the problems. Looks like I neeed to work on my post production a bit. ;)

The dynamic contrast, however, was a very important part of this piece, and I would never change it. Unlike many of the more modern genres where louder is better, Orchestral music is dependent on dynamic changes to help bring forth the mood of the piece. Listen to some classical CDs and you see what I mean.

I like it. I like it alot. Nicely aranged. I've heard alot of orchestrated pieces and alot of times people seems to go to far. You kept this subdued for alot of it wich I like. The level changes did nto bother me at all. I'm also gald that you used good quality samples for your instruments. One thing I hate is to hear a "Cheesy" flute or trumpet, especially on these types of pieces. keep up the good work.

I was expecting much more after hearing his Star Wolf remix, but this is utter trash.

MOD EDIT: Keep it constructive.

EDIT: Um, there's no point in constructive criticism since it's apparent that DZComposer can do much better than this. :roll:

Just write one with a more defined melody next time.

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion this is probably one of his best complete peices to date, it has fun little background bits, he handled the brass much better than he has in the past, and it is arranged excelently. For a "minimalistic" peice there is a surpriseing amount going on between all the instruments, everything fits together really nicely. Even now I'm noticeing new bits in it whenever I listen.

I think this is his first peice I have heard that I've liked the entirety of besides the black hole one.(I hope he submits that one some day just to see how the judges react to its disonant nature :D).

I'm sure there's plenty to be improved upon, but my ear isn't critical enough to really find anything wrong with the production or arrangement going on here. Hell I've played in a band and orchestra for a few years and he's improved enough that it's hard to tell some of the instruments are fake now unlike his older stuff, so he's doing a much better job at working with the samples he has when he puts his mind to it.

Mr. Yoshiyami, you'd make a bad judge, you seem unable to judge things objectively or give good feedback for what you didn't like about it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I think for having the main melody, the vibraphone should have a little more definition. The rest of the orchestra overpowers it a little too much. The quieter sections with the bassoon really work well i think, but i'd like it to take on a sharper tone during the more intense sections.

The dynamics of it worked out really well, and the arrangement was very creative. I agree with a few other comments that this isn't really my style, but I definitely can appreciate the craft that went into creating this, and i'd love to see it performed live.

• 1 year later...

Though the sounds are clearly not "real" samples, I feel lots of warmth in its sound; so it's all good. Everything about this track accomplishes what it set out to do; it sparks the imagination. All the instruments bring out the mood well, especially the vibraphone. While listening to it, I totally understand the remixer's affinity to the vibraphone; the different moods it can bring out are exemplified with creative flair (to quote my art teacher).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01488 - Star Fox 64 "V to the X Power"