OCR03108 - *YES* Sonic the Hedgehog 'Flicky's Night Out'

Chimpazilla

Remixer Name: Rexy (real name: Beverley Wooff)

OCRemix user ID: 7528

Remix info:-

Remix title: "Flicky's Night Out"

Game covered: Sonic the Hedgehog (GEN)

Individual songs covered: Star Light Zone (main source), Green Hill Zone (couple of minor appearances)

---

This is one of a handful of tracks that I initially felt reluctant to send over (me = pessmistic and you know it), but I really started to warm up to it in the months after it was originally released as part of the Sonic Stadium Music Adventure 2012 (http://projects.sonicstadium.org).

It's a very odd story as to how some prolific female OC Remixer got involved with a more amateur remixing scene, but it's been one social link after another as a result of the Sonic Zone Remix Competition '12 that got me to do a few tracks for it. The aim when deciding to tackle Star Light Zone at the very beginning was to create something happy, to the point and able to perform at OCR panels here in the UK, which appears to be really successful already.

Why the overly-cheerful direction? Think about it... after that goddamn NIGHTMARE of a level that is Labyrinth Zone, this level was a complete and utter godsend in comparison. You're broken free from a potential watery prison, escaped the spiked shaft of death and are no longer worrying about losing lives to your inability to swim. Sure, there's going to be pitfall problems in Star Light, but nothing as bad as what you had experienced in the previous zone. It's all an explosion of re-finding your freedom and carefree spirit, don't you think?

Either way, I hope this will go down well. Thanks for taking a look into it, and I'll be back here before you know it!

Peace out,

-Rexy-

Well Rexy, I have to bust out into a smile when I hear that Avien lead! (Thanks zircon for making that lovely preset!) Just fyi, Avien layers beautifully with other patches to make some really interesting and varied leads, I like to blend it with a flutey timbre, or another sine/saw thing, it is really very versatile and is one of my favorite sounds ever ever ever. But I digress!

I have a couple of minor issues with this track. The drums are on autopilot a good part of the time, and the crash sounds are underwhelming. I wish the drums had more presence and they are also dry. There is a strummed thingy that is hard panned to the right, and I'm not a fan of hard panning, it feels especially odd on headphones. The whole track feels a bit dry. Many of the timbres you've used would really shine with just a drop more reverb added.

The writing is really nice though, plenty of source and lots of fun soloing too. I like the little Green Hill Zone cameos. I like this overall, the production issues I have aren't enough not to accept this, it's really fun. And AVIEN. :-D

YES

• 1 month later...

For a 3:39-long piece, I needed at least 109.5 seconds of overt source usage for it to dominate the arrangement.

05-:17, :18-1:00, 1:07-1:10, 1:44-1:47, 1:56-2:01, 2:12.5-2:37, 2:39-2:43.5, 2:45.5-2:49, 2:51.5-3:04, 3:18-3:35 = 127 seconds or 57.99% overt source usage

Short and sweet, the snare drum writing in particular was bland; some more spice there would have this sounding more spirited and sophisticated. The backing writing as a whole sounded thin IMO, but you got some good mileage out of these sounds for sure. Overall, the texture was strong. I really enjoyed the creativity, energy and variations on the themes (including the "Green Hill Zone" guest appearance at 1:44). Let's go!

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Not much to add to what's already been said. Writing is up to Rexy's usual high standards. Arrangement is fun and explores various ways to interpret the original melody lines.

Snare does kinda stick out like a sore thumb, but it's not terrible, just sort of there. The later stringed lead wasn't as strong as the earlier synth lead to me and the sequencing had some overlapping/unnatural note transitions. It was a bit hard to tell if it was trying to be a natural sounding violin or a synth-y one.

Overall, these are more than made up for by the general clean production and great writing.

YES

The intro did not wow me, I must admit. I'm not a fan of that dry lead used there, and it's also mixed on the piercing side. When the main section swooped in, I was flooded by happy feelings. Love the floaty lead, the funky ska-like guitar (wish that was more prominent even), and the rock band drums. It's a unique combination that evokes positive memories from different eras of music, almost like nostalgia for a time that never happened. I like that you took a chance on the instrumentation. Though the dry lead is brought back for the bridge *shakes fist*, this is a hard song not to like. Fun stuff!

YES