Street Fighter V

Brushfire

I'm a lifelong fan of this franchise, but I've gotta say....it's gonna take a lot to get me to buy another SF game at this point.

I wish I could say I'm excited, but honestly the game needs to evolve as do all of the major fighting games. It needs to be more than just a fighting game - it's been more or less the exact same for 20 years. I poured hundreds of hours into SFIV since it came out and from what little gameplay this trailer shows, and the series so far, there is little doubt it will be hardly any different from SFIV and that is not enough anymore for Capcom to get my money.

I know I'm not alone at all in this thinking. Hell, Maximilian even made a similar statement in a recent video on his YouTube channel.

So I hope it turns out great, but currently sitting at a "meh" for me.

• 2 weeks later...

So far SFV looks like the players will have to really increase their ground game. In my opinion it looks more like a chess match instead of a checkers match. I'm pretty excited for the release. I think the updates to SFIV eventually ended up hurting the game rather than helping it. (Omega Mode for example). It's time for change!

I'm hoping SF5 will have less focus on really long link combos and intense technical execution.

Judging from the video Arrow provided, it looks like it will be just like SF2 and SF Third Strike days. If Capcom returns SF to the days where players had to out think each other then they can take all of my money. Even though I put a lot of my life into SFIV, the game rewarded vortex characters far too much. I hope they keep this pace for the game. There is nothing wrong with a 3-4 hit combo system imo.

I'm hoping SF5 will have less focus on really long link combos and intense technical execution, and get back to the SF2 style of play... less about FADCs and extremely tight timing, and more about your tactics + strategy. Wishful thinking though.

I never thought SF4 was all that extreme, especially considering some of the other games out there... (MvC? Skillgirls... the list goes on)That being said - I totally agree. I hate when an execution or timing barrier inhibits a player from really getting into the game or doing what he wants to. It feels less like your fighting against your opponent and more against the game.

I need to go play some more 3rd strike <3

Yeah I don't mean to say that SF4 is as technical as some other games, but to me it's more technical than SF2 (my favorite) or SF3, by a pretty big margin... I spent hours and hours in training trying to nail down 1-frame links. Plus IMO the really low damage/high health makes the game feel more hopeless when you're behind. In SF2 you can have a sliver and get a crazy comeback in just a couple seconds. It's so hype.

I'm really not a big fan of focus attacks and focus canceling at all. To me there is such a thing as too much focus on mechanics/execution and focus attacks.. again, just my perspective... add a lot of complexity in exchange for not a lot of extra fun or depth.

I never thought SF4 was all that extreme, especially considering some of the other games out there... (MvC? Skillgirls... the list goes on)

I see your point. Compared to the other fighters that basically live by the 1 touch of death rule, SFIV wasn't that bad. I just started to slowly back away after the appearance of these disgusting unblockable set ups. Not only that, but the game was severely unbalanced. I am not one to put all of my faith in the tier list, but this was one of the few fighting games where the same characters were consistently winning majors.

I never thought SF4 was all that extreme, especially considering some of the other games out there... (MvC? Skillgirls... the list goes on)That being said - I totally agree. I hate when an execution or timing barrier inhibits a player from really getting into the game or doing what he wants to. It feels less like your fighting against your opponent and more against the game.

I need to go play some more 3rd strike <3

Yeah I don't mean to say that SF4 is as technical as some other games, but to me it's more technical than SF2 (my favorite) or SF3, by a pretty big margin... I spent hours and hours in training trying to nail down 1-frame links. Plus IMO the really low damage/high health makes the game feel more hopeless when you're behind. In SF2 you can have a sliver and get a crazy comeback in just a couple seconds. It's so hype.

I'm really not a big fan of focus attacks and focus canceling at all. To me there is such a thing as too much focus on mechanics/execution and focus attacks.. again, just my perspective... add a lot of complexity in exchange for not a lot of extra fun or depth.

Marvel et al has long combos, but the skill requirement to OHKO a character for 2-3 meters is very low compared to the skill requirement for optimal combos in Street Fighter IV. For instance, there are far fewer one-frame links in Marvel than there are in SFIV.

I actually don't mind the focus attack as an additional baiting layer -- it's the cancel combos with such tight timing that I dislike. Overall though, I am definitely with Andy -- they haven't ever had a game as hype as Street Fighter II.

This is why all of us gather around the ST cabinet every MAGFest :)

Uhm, I feel like you guys are forgetting that

STREET FIGHTER III: 3RD STRIKE: FIGHT FOR THE FUTURE

is the best Street Fighter game, not Street Fighter II. :neutral:

/favoritesrant

That aside, I find 3rd Strike far more interesting to play, especially with parries. SFII feels really sluggish, like you do things on your controller and then your character reacts to it, rather than in 3rd Strike where it's a little faster and more seamless.

If they made a game with 3rd Strike mechanics, but with all the original creators from II and such, that would, I think, be the best Street Fighter game ever (and warrant being called V, because III + II = V)

I am with you there Zircon, I grew up with SFII, and III. Its still engrained in my gamer mindset to feel the motion of every super or tech hit. IV really pushed some to extreme limits with the debug issues, and recent patch fix.

I remember when SFII had so many breakdowns, its amazing we weren't clamored over it back then. But SFV has alot to live up to. And if it does evolve the franchise, it may be able to reshape fighting games altogether. (and for once not so much DLC!)

Not alone friend, i too loved Alpha. It humbled me to see how all the lines connected with each world warrior that are rarely explored anymore. i wished that more SF titles could get the chance to connect more dots, instead of a hint of a storyline within the immense roster.

Not alone friend, i too loved Alpha. It humbled me to see how all the lines connected with each world warrior that are rarely explored anymore. i wished that more SF titles could get the chance to connect more dots, instead of a hint of a storyline within the immense roster.

The Alpha storyline is really amazing, but the gameplay of both 2 and 3 is pretty broken and stupid at high levels of play -- mainly focused around using the custom combo activation to create unblockable situations and then infinite combos until you die (this is especially true of 3).

The Alpha storyline is really amazing, but the gameplay of both 2 and 3 is pretty broken and stupid at high levels of play -- mainly focused around using the custom combo activation to create unblockable situations and then infinite combos until you die (this is especially true of 3).

My favorite part of Alpha 3 was the World Tour mode - I'd sink hours and hours into that game leveling up and customizing my favorite characters. The perks that let your gauges auto-fill or let you do all sorts of neat things we're really, really cool. I miss modes like this in fighting games. SFxT had something sorta similar with the gem mode, but it just wasn't good enough balance-wise or interesting/diverse enough. Maybe we'll get some RPG elements in SFV. :D

^Ah, the arcade release didn't have such a mode, and I'm only familiar with the arcade edition of Alpha 3...which also means no Fei Long or PSP bonus characters for me in that game.

My favorite part of Alpha 3 is that for each -ism I have a different Bison doll. Juni is best with X-ism to max out her 360 throw damage, Juli has a fireball kick that chains into uppercut on V-ism, and Cammy on A-ism gets the Bumblebee super, the game's coolest looking attack. I usually play V-ism Cody for his 3D dodge and infinite combo.

• 4 months later...

I'm curious, am I allowed to talk about characters that I want to see in this game? Because I definitely would want to see Captain Commando (His game was 2026 Final Fight) or Batsu Ichimonji from Rival Schools. The latter hasn't had an installment in his series forever.

It's like "Capcom makes a good fighting game series, runs out of ideas, and drops it." Prime examples of this are Rival Schools and Darkstalkers (not to mention Cyberbots)

If you've put in "Final Fight" characters (and snuck Ingrid from "Capcom Fighting Jam" into SFA3 Max for PSP), then at least Batsu shouldn't be a problem.

My favorite part of Alpha 3 was the World Tour mode - I'd sink hours and hours into that game leveling up and customizing my favorite characters. The perks that let your gauges auto-fill or let you do all sorts of neat things we're really, really cool. I miss modes like this in fighting games. SFxT had something sorta similar with the gem mode, but it just wasn't good enough balance-wise or interesting/diverse enough. Maybe we'll get some RPG elements in SFV. :D

Blazblue, persona 4 arena, and guilty gear xrd have RPG modes, FYI. (Almost just said pserona 4, which IS and RPG =P)

As far as capcom though, umvc3 has a card mode where you can make crazy changes. Other than that there hasn't been much.

As for captain commando, while I think he needs to come back somewhere, I don't think its SF4 he fits more in Vs Titles. But I'll be a little steamed if haggar doesn't get in. Even side characters of final fight have gotten in SF before him.

Blazblue, persona 4 arena, and guilty gear xrd have RPG modes, FYI. (Almost just said pserona 4, which IS and RPG =P)

As far as capcom though, umvc3 has a card mode where you can make crazy changes. Other than that there hasn't been much.

As for captain commando, while I think he needs to come back somewhere, I don't think its SF4 he fits more in Vs Titles. But I'll be a little steamed if haggar doesn't get in. Even side characters of final fight have gotten in SF before him.

I've been looking for a reason to pick up a copy of P4A, I had no idea there was an RPG mode! I Will look into it, as I am a huge Persona fan...

... After I finish playing with MKX. ^_^'

I've been looking for a reason to pick up a copy of P4A, I had no idea there was an RPG mode! I Will look into it, as I am a huge Persona fan...

... After I finish playing with MKX. ^_^'

P4A's story mode isn't an RPG mode; it's much closer to a visual novel. It's also the canonical continuation and intersection of P3 and P4 storylines.

P4A's story mode isn't an RPG mode; it's much closer to a visual novel. It's also the canonical continuation and intersection of P3 and P4 storylines.

I wasn't saying that story mode was an RPG mode. Just that an RPG mode exists. Both are fantastic, but if you haven't finished persona 4, you will be spoiled from P4AU.