Street Fighter V

Brushfire

I'm really starting to get a feel for this game, and I'm winning way more in ranked now. Probably the hardest thing to deal with is relentless aggression from almost every character. Like Tom (newt) observed, pretty much the entire cast wants to rushdown in one way or another. In order to beat those tactics you HAVE to get a feel for frame data... which is a big pain even with this limited cast, especially since EX + sometimes V-Trigger versions of moves have different timings. I couldn't imagine what it would be like if the cast were as big as USF4.

Man, defending against rushdowns is definitely hard. Especially against 2000+ LP players, I feel like it's a constant barrage of block strings and if you slip up even once, you lose at least 1/4 your health bar. For some characters I'm getting a sense of the frame timing and block stun but there's so much to memorize... like I went up against Vega for the first time today - 4 matches total - and lost all 4. Each time I got a little better but because hardly anyone plays him, I still have ALMOST no idea what his priorities are like, hitboxes, normals, etc.

9 hours ago, zircon said:

Man, defending against rushdowns is definitely hard. Especially against 2000+ LP players, I feel like it's a constant barrage of block strings and if you slip up even once, you lose at least 1/4 your health bar. For some characters I'm getting a sense of the frame timing and block stun but there's so much to memorize... like I went up against Vega for the first time today - 4 matches total - and lost all 4. Each time I got a little better but because hardly anyone plays him, I still have ALMOST no idea what his priorities are like, hitboxes, normals, etc.

Well... I guess I lied; V-Reversals help you here. A V-Reversal is a command reversal that uses V-meter and functions like a red parry: once you block something, you can perform the reversal and it's an instant, unyielding reversal. Try it in training mode with a CPU opponent; it's really not hard to pull off, the input window for it is gigantic and I'm pretty sure you're invincible while it's happening so they can't just poke you out of it.

Basically it just lets you stop a rushdown and get back to neutral, or rush them down.

On 4/6/2016 at 5:55 PM, Sir_NutS said:

Pretty much sums it up.  Your goal is to annoy the fuck out of your opponent, not winning.  Winning is merely a good side effect.

Also Bardic I've sent you like 1000 invites u gonna come kick my ass or what.

Hit me up on either Skype (bardic_knowledge) or Steam (bardicknowledge) chat to make sure I'm online -- the SFV online status is a joke.  

1 hour ago, zircon said:

Nash's V-Reversal is basically a get-out-of-jail free card. On the other hand, for 2 bars, I can basically cross someone up, do about 20% damage, and get a knockdown guaranteed...

V-Reversals are an extremely useful tool against rushdown.  Corners are a huge deal in this game, and V-Reversal is the best option every character (except nash) has to safely reset pressure.  Watch any tournament and you'll see the players using V-Reversal quite often.  Nash is literally the only exception to this and even then, you see Nash players like Infiltration using VR.

On 4/13/2016 at 5:33 PM, BardicKnowledge said:

^Ono is the world's absolute best Internet troll.  The dude could give lessons, haha.

On the video: quit complaining -- Bison didn't have the psycho crusher throughout most of Alpha, for instance.  That dude is salty af -- he could power ScrubQuotes for a year alone.

The guy isn't wrong though. The story mode at ship was kind of sad, challenges didn't exist, no lobbies with more than two people, you couldn't get any of the DLC costumes, and most of the characters are same-y. I haven't looked at the figures, but generally people don't pull out the whole "this game did bad at retail" thing unless, you know, maybe the game did bad at retail (not that retail success is necessarily indicative of game quality..)

Saying the game hasn't had any issues is just being blind to the obvious.

I do agree with him (and newt) that the characters feel a little same-y compared to previous iterations of the main series. Not necessarily the LOOK of the characters but how they play and what their strategies are. Plus some of the movesets seem a little slapped together. But I guess that's what happens when you give many characters 4 special moves, plus 4 EX moves, V-Trigger, V-Skill, and CA. There's gonna be more overlap.

I don't agree with removing Vega's previous command-style but I understand why they did it; normalizing the characters makes the game a little more accessible. In a game with as much depth as Street Fighter V, accessibility is valuable.

Though of course, they completely messed accessibility up by not offering challenge mode to teach basic combos on launch.

4 hours ago, Admiral_C said:

I don't understand why they would change Vega's style in the name of normalization if everyone else didn't get the same treatment. Bison, Chun-Li, and others are still charge based. Why pick on poor Vega?

Well you see, that's where you're wrong.

They're not really charge based anymore either. Or at least, Chun Li isn't save for the fireball and SBK - never played Bison. Gone are the "up-kicks" charge move and so too is the button mashing for lightning kicks - now that's the shoto QCF

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/15/2016 at 11:13 PM, Admiral_C said:

I don't understand why they would change Vega's style in the name of normalization if everyone else didn't get the same treatment. Bison, Chun-Li, and others are still charge based. Why pick on poor Vega?

I don't think that Vega being changed to a command character is necessarily a bad thing. 
Now its a lot easier to play him as a rushdown character. I don't know about you, but he always felt like he should be a more offensive character than he previously was. Then again it's not like SF5 needs more rushdown characters.