Street Fighter V

Brushfire

So I managed to get a deal on the game. It was a toss-up between this or the Master of Orion early access and I figured if I was going to a game with missing content, it might as well be the one that's not missing any gameplay.

I actually do really like the gameplay. It really does feel more back to the roots because it's not so dependent on ridiculous combos. The input also feels way tighter than before and it makes the game easily playable with the PS4 controller though I must admit, Chun Li's QCF input for her lightning kicks is messing me up. Not sure why they changed that. It's a solid fighting game, but I definitely wouldn't have paid full price for it.

Anyway, if you want to get spinning-bird kicked sometime, my PSN is the same as my name here :P 

4 hours ago, AngelCityOutlaw said:

Anytime. Hopefully next time I'll get rekt without the connection issues.

Interestingly enough, I had some pretty big lag issues when playing against Nuts as well.

I also just realized i didn't post any of my information:
Steam id: kwix
CFN Id: VitaminD

Feel free to add me and invite whenever!! I love teaching new players about fighting games.

In other news, I've been training Karin a lot. Couple hours a day. Her light attacks can link into her JFL (fast dash uppercut that launches you), and once she has the JFL she can do quite a bit, including being so lazy as to just end the combo right there with a free Critical Art. :<

Right now I'm training against a Zangief CPU, because her anti-air game is weird and his air game is kicking my ass right now.

1 hour ago, Neblix said:

The weird system doesn't actually tell you if people are online (it tries to but it's wrong) so I just invite you whenever I see you.

Oh, okay.

I've gotten much better (I think) with SFV's Chun Li. I was disappointed that the Hazanshu kick is gone because in IV, that was her most reliable anti-fireball move. The V-Skill and down + medium punch are suitable replacements, though. I've also mastered some of her combos. I just wish she'd get a better anti-air move and stronger wake-up game for once =/

• 3 weeks later...

Alright. I played this for about 2 hours tonight. I was really hype... tried it with my fightstick and controller. And honestly: I really didn't like it. So much so that I returned it on Steam. Everything about it feels 'wrong' to me, compared to any earlier SF. The fighting feels sluggish and floaty. The combo timings feel very awkward. It seems like every character has too many special moves and command normals (I tried about half of them, and couldn't get through the challenges.) It seemed like half the moves have additional move options just to complicate things further (especially Laura). Do we really need all that? 

I did a bunch of single player and then played online and didn't win a single match. I don't know. Maybe I just suck that hard at it, but I do OK at SF2-4, especially 2. I'll try it out again in a year, maybe when it's on sale. But for now, definitely not a fan, and no plan to play it any further.

3 hours ago, zircon said:

Alright. I played this for about 2 hours tonight. I was really hype... tried it with my fightstick and controller. And honestly: I really didn't like it. So much so that I returned it on Steam. Everything about it feels 'wrong' to me, compared to any earlier SF. The fighting feels sluggish and floaty. The combo timings feel very awkward. It seems like every character has too many special moves and command normals (I tried about half of them, and couldn't get through the challenges.) It seemed like half the moves have additional move options just to complicate things further (especially Laura). Do we really need all that? 

I did a bunch of single player and then played online and didn't win a single match. I don't know. Maybe I just suck that hard at it, but I do OK at SF2-4, especially 2. I'll try it out again in a year, maybe when it's on sale. But for now, definitely not a fan, and no plan to play it any further.

I admit that I lost interest in the game after a couple weeks. I personally thought the gameplay was solid, though. It's not that I didn't like the game, it's just that after getting my ass kicked enough times it showed me that I don't have the patience and dedication for these competitive kinds of games anymore. I feel like if I'm not going to put in the effort to "git gud" with it, then I'm wasting my time and money.

SFV definitely caters to the hardcore and I'm just not hardcore anymore. :?

SFV is WAY less catered to the hardcore than 4 or even 3.  SFV's timing window for combos is HUGE, as well as the input buffer, and the input amount for combos has been severely reduced and simplified.  Also, outside of Karin, the movelist for characters is also small.  To top that off, there are no variations between distance on normals, all of them are the same up close or far, which wasn't the case in 4 or 3.  So I don't know why anyone would say V is more complex, it's objectively much simpler than all the previous street fighters. 

Also regarding the challenges, in 4 I couldn't get past challenge 14 or 15 on most characters because of fdac, 1 frame links and pixel precise positioning that was required around that point.  In 5 I completed the Karin challenges in 12 minutes (I timed it) and it was mostly because I had to switch to the pause menu to figure out the move names, as they're in japanese and I don't know which is which.  

For me, it still has the same amount of cruft as SF4. Yeah, maybe the 1-frame links are gone. But there's still just too much extra stuff that, to me, takes away from the essence of spacing, footsies, poking, etc. I couldn't get into it at all. I can play SF2 all day without memorizing a single combo longer than 2 hits and actually win. But with 5 it's back to memorizing 4 normals into a special move, V-trigger cancels, and all that. I don't have time for that kind of thing anymore. 

I REALLY went into this wanting to like it after hearing it hyped so much. I was crushed with disappointment when I had to return it. Just had 0 fun at all.

Yeah but it simply does not have the same amount of complexity as 4 or 3.  If you prefer games like sf2 where its all about normals and 2-3 hit combos that's fine, but there's really a big difference between 4 and 5 when it comes to complexity.  Just look up the most complex combo you can get with Ryu in sf4 and then in sf5 and there's a big difference in inputs.  More than that though, fdac added a LOT of complexity to sf4 combos, v-trigger canceling is incredibly simpler in comparison because it doesn't require repositioning or tight inputs and the actual input for activating it is just a button press.  

If sf4 had a complexity level of 10, sf5 would have a complexity level of 6.  It's just that much easier to do anything.  Also most bread and butters in 5 are 2-3 normals into special, with the exception of chun, and characters like Ken who have target combos, but those are incredibly easy to pull off because the input window is so huge you can pretty much press the button literally at any point during the activation of the first.

Also as I mentioned, in sf4 you basically had 2 different sets of hits for close/far distances.  That alone added A LOT of extra complexity because if you missed the 1-frame link and moved a couple pixels away before inputting the next button you would throw out a completely different hit with completely different frame data.  It's just all MUCH simpler.

You're talking about difficulty of inputs... I'm talking about cruft. Stuff that, to me, takes away from the experience, and forces you to memorize more 'things' to be effective.

For example... in SF2, I play a lot of Fei Long. No command normals. He has 3 special moves and one super. That's it. You learn his normals, those 3 moves, and the super, and you can pretty much do anything with him. Now when I tried to play Rashid in 5, he also has 3 special moves (plus 1 airborne special), but each one has an EX version too that behaves a little differently. He has 5 command normals. Then he has a unique V-Skill, which itself has several moves attached to it, plus a V-Trigger which changes even more of his move list. Plus a super.

Maybe 10 or even 5 years ago I would have had the patience for all of that but I don't anymore. I look forward to the new games by Seth K. and Sirlin that bring the focus back entirely to reading + spacing.