The Legend of Zelda Wii U (untitled)

Crowbar Man

Alright, so so far we've seen two small glimpses of the next Zelda game. So, thought I'd open a thread:

1) A prescripted trailer a while back (E3 2014):

(at the 1:36 mark)

2) A live demo by Shigeru & Aonuma at The Game Awards 2014 last night:

(Nintendo's version with Reggie stripped out)

(From The Game Awards)

So far what the dev's have mentioned/shown about the game:

Visual style that looks somewhat like a next gen Skyward Sword art style, with a little shading

Open World, with large environment to traverse

The Sail Cloth for gliding from Skyward Sword is returning (which was also like the leaf ability Link had in Wind Waker)

Horse (Epona?) seems to maybe control like Agro from Shadow of the Colossus, moves somewhat independent of player control, but even more so. It wont run into trees, and at some points Aonuma didn't even have to put his hands on the controller

Because of this auto control, Link's crossbow aiming while horseback is much easier to control/multitask

Additionally, Link can do a Bullet Time style move with his crossbow by leaping off his horse (shown in real game play in the new clip)

It wasn't shown in this new trailer, but previously it was mentioned that dungeons are not supposed to have any particular order, and the dungeons can be entered a few different ways, or a puzzle itself to even enter. Akin to the original Zelda for NES

Edited by Crowbar Man

My-Body-is-Reggie.jpg

Totally didn't hunt down a "my body is ready" meme with the above text and edit it in post-script

On a side note, I love how awkward the translated discussion sounds. I know that has partially to do with the fact that it's a translation and they're lining up the translated dialog the best they can with the original dialogue, but still.

Edited by Anorax

• 2 weeks later...

I got pretty pumped seeing the demo. I'm just sick of hearing Zelda fanboys being butthurt because it doesn't look exactly like what they wanted it to look like in their heads.

I love how people seem to expect that a game is going to look exactly like how they imagine it or else they'll bash it around.

just kidding no I don't

apparently the size of just one area in this game is comparable to the size of the entire overworld of twilight princess.

this iteration of hyrule is gonna be massive

I remember when I first got to Lake Hylia in Twilight Princess. That area just by itself was as big, if not bigger, than the entirety of Hyrule in OoT. I was just "Wow, this place is fucking HUGE". It was a massive area and still stands out as an example of how much bigger games have gotten in the last decade or so.

apparently the size of just one area in this game is comparable to the size of the entire overworld of twilight princess.

this iteration of hyrule is gonna be massive

I remember when I first got to Lake Hylia in Twilight Princess. That area just by itself was as big, if not bigger, than the entirety of Hyrule in OoT. I was just "Wow, this place is fucking HUGE". It was a massive area and still stands out as an example of how much bigger games have gotten in the last decade or so.

yeah it's clear that Eiji was like "Wii U is this much more powerful than the Wii? screw it make the map ginormous". Not only that but for what they're showing off now (other than the rock textures), it's really good looking for that large of a map as well. I mean you remember those leaves in the first showing? That was honestly impressive to me.

here's hoping that a ginormous map will be worth it.

I love huge worlds. I remember when I was really young I thought that Station Square in Sonic Adventure was big. Games like Skyrim make me so happy because of their ridiculously large maps. But I also remember feeling like some of Skyrim is just kinda... bland. I don't want that for Zelda U.