OCR03169 - *YES* Sonic Adventure 2 & Sonic the Hedgehog (SMS) 'Blue Blur Your Brain'

Chimpazilla

Sup guys,

Mike and Joel here with our first submission as Helicopter Knife Fight. We have plenty more in the works (and completed) so stay tuned.

This is a remix of Scrap Brain (Sonic 1 - Master System) and Lost Colony (Sonic Adventure 2)

So this one was done for the Sonic Zone Remix Competition 2014. I had this idea before the competition started, which I talked about with Joel, and as usual my excitement transferred to him and we got really hype about it. Although it was only a concept in my mind at the time, I had a very clear idea of how the song was going to be, and in an amazing turn of events, the song actually ended up almost exactly how I pictured it.

This was due (in no small part) to Joel's enthusiasm when we work together. He nailed the concept and execution and it was probably the most seamless collab we've done so far. We're becoming a hive mind of mixing, beware!

Anyhoo, I picked scrap brain as my source to mix for the competition, but I ended up using more of my opponent's source, which was pretty damn good, and I quickly adapted and fell in love with it. The arrangement wasn't too complicated because both songs fell in the same key, so it was a matter of making an awesome, high-energy mix. Joel provided the rapping parts, while I provided the vocoded vocals and some of the backings. The arrangement was mostly me with some spot-on polishing and corrections by Joel.

As for Joel's comments I leave you this:

me: I'm gonna write the email
Do you want to add any comments about it
Joel: Mike told me to rap on his track so I did cause I'm apparently his bitch
me: yes, yes you are

We hope you enjoy our work.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Scrap Brain (SMS):

Lost Colony:
Edited by djpretzel

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Awww yeah. Strong concept and collab from you two. Very happy to hear some Sonic Adventure 2 becoming more prevalent on OCR, thanks to these competitions.

The bass writing and production is a big highlight of this collab. At first, I felt that it was mixed too loudly, but it fell into place nicely after the rest of the instruments dropped in. The vocal processing was also done really well on the raps - Joel's got some great flow! I wasn't as big of a fan of the vocoded parts on this, but they were definitely serviceable and worked great as a background element.

Wtf at the "bestiality" lyric though? :lol: Can't hate on it, but I definitely did a double-take when I first heard that.

This is just the level of quality I've come to expect from you guys. A lot of the source usage seems relegated to synth parts that are pretty low in the mix, but fortunately the Lost Colony bassline is present throughout the whole track so that firmly grounds this as a remix even though the rapping is arguably the main focus.

Good shit guys.

YES

Hey dudes . . . this is pretty cool. The flows are well performed and you've incorporated some smooth vocoder effects. Production quality is tight, good attention to detail in the sound design. The bassline makes source usage clear.

My only complaint is that the package is very workmanlike. Can't knock that really, but I do like to hear more exploration of the unusual timbres, strange rhythms, sublime madness, Lovecraftian horrors, etc. Good track & solid execution tho.

YES

When Joel's vocals kick off at :14, I felt they sounded too clean/dry and also crowded out the instrumental part with the "Lost Colony" theme. Not really feeling the way that was mixed; seems too treble-heavy. It's not a problem vis-a-vis the standards, because I can hear the VGM loudly enough, but another pass at the mixing could be good. One reason for that is because from :59-1:30 it was even harder to hear "Lost Colony" due to how far it was pushed into the back; it was so quiet until 1:30, you could argue it didn't factor into the arrangement.

At 2:05, I see where Redg was coming from, because I was waiting for something more creative and varied to happen with the sound design of the instrumental portions and that never really happened. That said, the overall presentation is solid, and the themes combined well with Scrap Brain from the Master System incorporated into the lyrics.

YES