Need serious help

JamJars

Let me start by saying, I'm not very good at speaking (be it in person or through forums like this) and I've always looked up to this site and the many amazing musicians and composers on here. Now, when I was in high school I could produce track after track, whether I was just playing around with new sounds and samples or following sudden inspiration. But lately I can't do anything. I feel like I've lost my brain and have tried to absorb all the info I can, but I just can't find the spark. I don't know what to do and it's frustrating me to no end. Please excuse me if I sound whiny or weird but I need some kind of advice.

well, same here. lemme give some generic advice i can't follow myself: if you really wanna make something, just do shit. don't expect it to be fun or result in something good. that's literally all you can do, and it's enough.

really, that's all there is to it. i'm too dumb to get it, though. i'm not even a musician when i'm not making music, i'm just a lazy youtube surfin' pig. :D

of course, the post above is right as well, but sometimes, one's approach to creativity can be so clogged up that the only way to make something is to break that blockade. it's more about persistence than brute force though.

Edited by Nase

Sometimes you lose the drive. Do other stuff, listen to lots of music (maybe try music you hadn't heard before). Eventually, inspiration will come back!

This in a nutshell. You shouldn't force yourself to work on something you aren't enjoying, it really won't help the situation you're in.

Take a break, look at something new, something different. When I was in your position I found myself listening to the same dozen or so albums and artists over and over and over and over again. I've decided then to go back and listen to all the music I've accumulated over the years, see if I fall in love with past artists I haven't listen to in a while, or if I've outgrown bands, if the album still holds up today, etc. etc. It's a refreshing change that I think helped.

I tend to jump from project to project, sometimes being more focused on music, sometimes gaming, sometimes writing, sometimes something else. Which is why some projects take quite a while for me. If I feel I really need to get something done, I'll force it. I'll make some bad music just to get some music done. I'll fire up an instrument and play some, to see if I've got some good ideas in my fingers. Gets the creative juices flowing, improves my disciple, might get something interesting made.

You can force it. Probably won't be your best work, but it might help get you into the right mindset and find you the inspiration you're looking for.

This in a nutshell. You shouldn't force yourself to work on something you aren't enjoying, it really won't help the situation you're in.

Take a break, look at something new, something different. When I was in your position I found myself listening to the same dozen or so albums and artists over and over and over and over again. I've decided then to go back and listen to all the music I've accumulated over the years, see if I fall in love with past artists I haven't listen to in a while, or if I've outgrown bands, if the album still holds up today, etc. etc. It's a refreshing change that I think helped.

Yeah, I agree. Some of the old artists that I used to like, I'm now turned off by because they really weren't that good :lol: So yeah, I would listen to more varieties of music. Get inspired by new music.

Edited by timaeus222