that 'reverse reverb' effect?

Reverse Reverbed or Delayed sounds can only really be done in a studio environment.

Imagine the effect live? The only way it'd be possible would be like a time machine or something..That somehow forsees what the singer is about to sing.

Unless.. the wet signal was recorded, cut up and somehow synced to something. I bet someone could do something like this in Cycling 74's Max/MSP. I'm nowhere near that standard though. But I guess the guys at IRCAM did compose an aria sung my a dead singer (Maria Callas)..

hmm..

Reverse Reverbed or Delayed sounds can only really be done in a studio environment.

Imagine the effect live? The only way it'd be possible would be like a time machine or something..That somehow forsees what the singer is about to sing.

I happen to have two moderatly cheap digital stomp boxes. A DigiTech DigiVerb, that has a reverse reverb and works pretty good live, check out the sample: http://www.digitech.com/products/xseriesflash/DigiVerb.html

The demo has a 50% mix or so, a 100% mix will result in the reverse reverb starting when you start strumming so having your actual chord or note land on a 1 with 100% mix is very hard as you need to start playing beforehand.

I also have a Boss DD-6 a digital delay that has reverse delay. Again with 100% mix the sound will useually come after you play. This effect does on the other hand chop up your playing into bits as you spoke of. It has a tap tempo so you can semi-sync your playing but it's mostly just good for a lush feel.

http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/demos/en/DD-6_sound/demo.html

nr. 2 is reverse delay.

As you can hear sometimes the reverse starts at the end of your last note that results in choppy sound.

Anyone who's played Diablo II should know the reverse reverb from Tyrael's voice, I bet they maxed the settings on him too. It's also heavily used on My Bloody Valentine's Loveless, both on guitars and voice.

Don't forget about the Protoss voices in Starcraft. :) I've always wondered how they made that effect. Oddly enough, I started thinking about it last week and I came up with the same solution as described by you guys - and now I see this thread. Weird.

Unless.. the wet signal was recorded, cut up and somehow synced to something. I bet someone could do something like this in Cycling 74's Max/MSP. I'm nowhere near that standard though. But I guess the guys at IRCAM did compose an aria sung my a dead singer (Maria Callas)..

hmm..

yeaaahhh my thoughts exactly hehe.

Imagine the effect live?

Yes. Just start playing earlier so the box/software/whatever has the time to apply the algorithm. Tricky, though ;).

Most "reverse reverbs" in effect boxes are just reverb with an inverted envelope applied; e.g. dry sound -> (nothing) -> fade into reverb.

I used to have a Digitech guitar effects pedal that had a very good reverse reverb preset on it.

-steve

• 3 weeks later...

I meant the wet signal becoming before the dry signal. As in simulating reversing an audio wave, applying reverb then reverse the audio file back to normal.

Which is obviously impossible live. As the guy who strated the topic was on about.