OCR03050 - Chrono Trigger 'Cosmic Whispers'

Liontamer

This is the 3rd arrangement of Secret of the forest is this year... And the final mix of 2013 is a Secret of the Forest mix too. And every of those mixes has its own style: dubstep, chiptune + cello, ambient/orchstral and now we have another interpretation of the source tune. And you know what? Doug is awesome. His percussion skills are insane, so I was prepared for something smooth, jazzy and I got it. He created terrific atmosphere with his glassy vibes. A bit mysterious, a bit gloomy, a bit bright. Great as always.

Boy, what a unique take. The staccato section really does catch your ear, but I actually enjoyed getting lost in the flowing (yet distinct hits) of the vibraphone. I feel that working within one instrument really allows some writing/playing talent to come to the forefront, and this mix has it in spades - what a joy to listen to the purity of this track, considering it takes the well-known source and gives it all kinds of character and interesting direction. Impressive!!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm really digging the smooth jazzy atmosphere behind the music of this ReMix, and hearing it off multiple percussion points is pretty cool. Might be my speakers or ears, but the vibraphone sounded a bit sharp at times, especially on the higher notes, but other than that little thing, quite the classy mix. I quite like this.

• 10 months later...

This is beautiful. The arrangement is lovely, especially considering it's vibraphone-only. I love how you can hear Doug breathing while recording this, it adds a very natural feeling to the track. It's a very relaxing remix, with just the right amount of post-FX to improve what's already sounding excellent. Doug, please more! :)