*NO* NiGHTS into Dreams 'Soft Museum'

Chimpazilla

ReMixer name: Colorspray

Email address:

User ID: 50469

Name of game arranged: NiGHTS into Dreams...

Name of arrangement: Soft Museum (The Confusion)

Name of song arranged: Suburban Museum

Original:

Composers: Naofumi Hataya, Tomoko Sasaki, and Fumie Kumatani)

Thanks

-----------------------------------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

This is a pretty cute cover of this tune... quick thoughts, I think there needs to be a bunch of frequency cleanup in this track, everything is competing, bass is barely audible, can't tell what is the focus at any point, all the writing is busy and nothing takes center stage. The track in fact needs a balance and eq overhaul in order to let the fun details shine through.

NO (resubmit)

Kristina definitely drilled down into the biggest problem with this mix - to be honest, until some of the bigger synths are tamed and balanced properly, it's hard to tell how this arrangement would hold up. There's a nice remix in here somewhere, but you need a serious mixing cleanup to help bring that out in order to clean this up and give certain elements in your track the time to shine. For example, I'm hearing some really cool bass and drum writing at times but it's so muddled in reverb and drowned out by other frequencies, it doesn't feel like it's even there most of the time. It actually took me 3 listens just to realize that there was a guitar in here, it's just so busy! :\

Other than that, the string outro felt like a nice stylistic change of pace but ultimately felt underwhelming because, again, the strings were blending so much that there wasn't always much distinct melody coming through. The sample set seems to be straddling the line between 16-bit srtings and high-quality strings, which is a bit strange, but again, the muddy production is hurting this part.

This is a track I would HIGHLY recommend bringing to our workshop forums, we've got some talented musicians that frequent there that can give more detailed, specific feedback on how to get this working. I'd like to see this again sometime down the line!

NO

I agree that the mixing is pretty problematic, where certain parts that just aren't as important to the overall mix are way too dominant, and arrangement-wise, the first 2:30 is basically a midi rip plus drums. There is a decent breakdown afterward, but the samples throughout arent doing it.

I suggest more interpretation and some definite mixing improvements. Get ye to the workshop!

No