*NO* Final Fantasy 9 'Into Battle'

Chimpazilla

This is a conservative arrangement, pretty much a cover, but I like the metal interpretation. The performances are good, mixing is clear, things are well balanced, bass is audible, drums fit in well. Short but sweet. I like it!

edit 1/14/15: I won't hold this up. The arrangement is just to similar to the source tune for our standards. It sounds really good to me, but you've gotten some great production feedback in this thread that you should consider. I hope to hear this back with more personalization!

NO (resubmit)

Edited by Chimpazilla

First off, I'll say that this is pretty well produced and well-put-together, but I'm on the other side of the fence in thinking this is TOO cover-ish. I can tell by listening to this side-by-side with the source, which nearly the exact same length as your submission, and the two tracks progress almost perfectly in tandem. I don't feel like enough effort has been put into personalizing this or making it your own aside from the genre adaptation.

Maybe there's some nuances to the arrangement that I'm not picking up on, but to me this seems too much of a straightforward cover to be suitable for OCR.

I'm curious to see how the rest of this vote goes!

NO

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Wes that this is a bit too coverish on the arrangement front and needs a good deal more interpretation for me to feel comfortable.

Production has the rhythms too low, with the leads feeling pasted on top.

Guitarwise, your lead playing needs a bit more expression and some vibrato on the long notes; as it is really dead sounding on the whole and half notes.

It's a good start, but needs a lot more polish and additional material to get on OCR.

No, please resubmit

• 3 weeks later...

At the very start of the track, I was initially worried on the production side with how things were mixed. The drums (kick specifically) sounded distant and a little too reverbed. The strings are really dry in comparison and sequenced pretty rigidly (I suppose this isn't too uncommon for the genre), but they only served as part of the intro, so no big deal. However, things gelled much better when the rhythm guitars came in.

I hear what Andrew's saying on the lead feeling pasted on top of everything else, though I'm not sure it's because the backing rhythm guitars are too low. Maybe it's just the rhythm guitars need a bit more high end eq and the leads need to come down a touch on volume. Hard to say without being hands on with the mix myself. Overall, the production isn't really the dealbreaker for me TBH.

Definitely agreeing with the arrangement criticisms, however. This is pretty darn close to straight up cover/genre adaptation and we're really looking for more personalization than this.

NO resubmit, please