OCR04149 - *YES* Plants vs. Zombies "Cerebral"

Chimpazilla

Avaris

Plants vs Zombies

Source:

This is part of the PvZ arrangement album. Pleas do not post until, album is released.

Cimpazilla approached me about participating in the project. I decided to jump knowing how dedicated she is. I went for a laid back hip hop track with tones and textures that enhanced the feel of the original source. I have doing alot of synth work lately, so I wanted to get back to using some organic natural instruments. Hence the combo of piano, acoustic guitar, and plenty of bell tones and textures layered throughout. This track came together fairly quickly but the last 5% was a doozy. Thanks to everyone on the project for the spirited debates to iron out some of the final details. ;)

This track is for my PvZ project. I really like it, I like Avaris's style. I do feel like more could have been done with this track. I'd love a bit more variation on the melody, a bit more ear candy, and some more bass. But what's here works, it's fun and spooky. I especially like the bird sfx, it makes me think of zombies crossing my lawn casually in broad daylight to eat my brains.

YES

• 1 month later...

Hmmm... I don't really know how I feel about this. Chimp noted that she wanted to hear "more" from this arrangement, and I agree entirely. This feels like there's a lot of unrealized potential here compared to what I've heard Shaun in the past, but at the same time it doesn't feel like an incomplete piece, either... it's just a little underwhelming. Breaking out into some more bombastic percussion or some more interesting sound design in the breakdown sections would certainly have helped ramp this up in my eyes.

Curiously enough, even though you were trying to get away from synths and get back to more organic instruments for this arrangement, I actually really like how you handled the synth parts of this, and think this is a great example of how I'd like your synth leads to sound in other tracks (such as your recent FF4 submission, "Eclipse.") The acoustic instruments overall work pretty well. The percussion has its fair share of flourishes but mostly resides in the background.

Yeah, I dunno... this isn't your strongest showing but I think it's just solid enough to get by. I like that you're experimenting with some different sound pallets and styles though!

YES (borderline)

• 3 weeks later...

I guess kinda going along with what Emu said here--this isn't some kind of massively breathtaking arrangement, but it's competent, uses source throughout, and is well-mixed. I dig. I'm also a fan of the chirpy percussion to go with the chirping birds, if that makes sense...I dunno.

Anyways. It's good, I like it, no complaints from me!

YES

Yeah, overall agreed here. I think it takes the source into a fun direction, and has a lot of nice sounds that work well together. I think opening up into some more sounds and some more bombastic sounds (Wes worded it just right) would bring this up a notch, though I think having the track be a bit understated works in it's own way, too. I can't say this is my favorite work by you, Shaun, but I think you've done a good job with the source here.

YES (borderline)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04149 - *YES* Plants vs. Zombies "Cerebral"
  • djpretzel pinned this topic
  • Liontamer unpinned this topic