Final Fantasy VIII - Balamb Garden [downtempo/vaporwave-inspired]

Cinctulan

I've been listening to a lot of vaporwave and similar stuff lately and I wanted to try my hand at the style. The FFVIII soundtrack makes me feel really nostalgic, so I sampled one of the songs that stuck out most in my memory. The end result is sample-heavy, a little repetitive, and not super ambitious (as you might expect), so I'm not really sure it's suited for mod review or anything like that, but I hope you enjoy!

Constructive criticism is welcome. I was planning on releasing it (for free) with three other tracks on Bandcamp as-is, but if something is glaringly wrong, I'll need to make sure it's fixed before I put it up for DL.

Original:

Remix: https://soundcloud.com/cinctulan/ph38opv0isi0

Noted. That bass is a very stretched and pitched part of the piano sample and I was definitely afraid it might clash with some of the other elements in the mix. I liked the way it filled out the lower frequencies and it sounded sort of lush through its muddiness, so I tried to make it work with some aggressive EQing. It sounds good to my less-than-ideal ears on my less-than-ideal setup, but it might be best to mess around with it a little more or replace it with something simpler. Thank you for the input, Timaeus :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

i think the drums are waay too bright. considering that this track should be more moody and dark... i felt like i got woken up when they came in, and i was trying to relax dammit!!!!!!!!!!!! up to that part sounded great to me. i didn't have the problem with the piano timaeus did, but maybe my ears aren't as developed.

my opinion but darken the drums up a bit with a touch of reverb and a hi shelf -1 to -2 dbs at like 9k or so...i think the snare reverb also needs to be a bit longer or deeper, it just needs more personality. i feel like the snare on this track needs to feel like it is trying to drown you in a pond or something. snareverb needs more midrange is what i'm saying, if you eq the drums down on the hi end that may help also.

i like the synth lead that comes in. nice tone, nice melody.

the drum parts get a little boring after that, maybe add a 2nd drum part that does counterpoint to that, then fade out. as is the fadeout fits time-wise, but it feels like the part before it lacks the "climax" a track's ending needs. i think some extra goodness after the lead ends and before the fadeout is what you need to say, hey muffugga I'm ending this track so turn your speakers off before something shittier plays

all in all though, pretty enjoyable.

Edited by Michael_Lochlann
i r the bezt

In my opinion, I think like Michael :

i think the drums are waay too bright. considering that this track should be more moody and dark... i felt like i got woken up when they came in, and i was trying to relax dammit!!!!!!!!!!!!

The trumpet-saxo-synth was very good (reminded me to the Theme of Lutie of Ragnarok Online). In general I like it. Good Job