Max is the most capable, but also the most expensive and difficult to use.

Reaktor is less capable, less expensive but more musician-friendly.

SynthEdit is even less capable, most CPU taxing, but it's free and fairly easy to use.

that's the general idea, if you want to get into the specifics of capability i'm probably not the best person to ask,

but either way i'm sure any one of those apps will keep you busy for a long time.

also there's two free programs in a similar vein: pd and jMAx.

i have no experience with either but you can add it to your list of stuff to check out that won't hurt your wallet.

cheers.

I checked out SynthEdit some months ago, and got to say it's cool since you learn the basics in how a modular-synthesizer works. Didn't got time to explore it further though, since it is (like analoq mentioned) very time-consuming.

I've used Max/MSP quite a bit, I'd say its much better than Reaktor or SynthEdit, but yes it is extremely hard to use. In industry theres a lot of big names that use Max/MSP, although it tends to be more avant-garde composers. Max/MSP is easier to use if you have experience in C++ coding language, cos if you think Max/MSP is hard try making some music with C++ .. bit hard like..

I've heard of people who have used Max/MSP and put needles into the back of their neck to control music using their mind. Max/MSP is good to use when your using inputs other than a regular midi controller. Why not use a digital camera that can pick up movements of different colours to create music.

Its reasons like these and possibilities like these that make me produce music and experiment.

Are there any remixes that have been done using Max?

..if not maybe I could make a first!..I'm thinking something glitchy..maybe some granular synthesis..but no presets!!