Music theory thread

Fb=MC2

First I ask that you share any resources you know pertaining to music theory and learning. I plan to constantly edit and update this first post with all that is collected in this thread.

Second here's what I have to offer currently.

http://www.musictheory.net/

There are some very basic music theory to slightly more advanced concepts on this site plus a variety of training drills [like learning to identify notes so you can play by ear. Single notes, two at once, three, scales, etc..] some things on time signatures and the time of each individual note.

Your local library [seriously, go check out books on music theory. useful stuff. Mine had a few on electronic music, piano, general, some on how to play the blues, etc.]

Books

-Computer Musicians

"I just read a book called Harmony for Computer Musicians. It's AMAZING. It goes into so much detail about different kinds of chords and chord progressions and how to use them. I'm only 1/3 of the way through, but I've already learned a lot. You'll have to know some basic stuff (like scales, chords, the circle of fifths) before reading it though."

submitted by supercoobie64

PDF files

http://www.global-trance.com/misc/music_theory_tldr.pdf

"I also found a random PDF on Reddit called Music Theory: The TLDR Version. It's short, but it gets to the point and explains a lot of advanced concepts like secondary dominants, altered chords, suspensions, etc. Just ignore the stupid memes."

Submitted by supercoobie64

Edited by Fb=MC2

I was disappointed with musictheory.net. It doesn't go into enough detail. Here's what I posted in another thread:

I just read a book called Harmony for Computer Musicians. It's AMAZING. It goes into so much detail about different kinds of chords and chord progressions and how to use them. I'm only 1/3 of the way through, but I've already learned a lot. You'll have to know some basic stuff (like scales, chords, the circle of fifths) before reading it though.

I also found a random PDF on Reddit called Music Theory: The TLDR Version. It's short, but it gets to the point and explains a lot of advanced concepts like secondary dominants, altered chords, suspensions, etc. Just ignore the stupid memes.

I recommend musicophilia, Tales of Music and the Brain, by Oliver Sacks. It's pretty hard to read, but if you're into music and psychological stuff then I'd dare to say that it is one of the best books available. To link that with music theory, it also deals with the more psychological side of making music,that is the effect music has on the brain. So it is a really really specific part of music theory, but really interesting nonetheless.

• 4 weeks later...