Sonic 1 Special Stage Remix

Schematist

• 2 weeks later...

this is kinda quiet! you should normalize it on your next render!

listening through:

I think I might make the lead at 0:36 a bit...stronger? like decrease the low pass slightly, or something. I can't really place what it is exactly, but it strikes me as too soft, I think.

1:10 is the highlight of your mix, imo. just needs a more prominent bass.

1:27 that gated synth just doesn't sit well with me. I can't really place why :S

the synth that enters around 1:38 is probably the best one in the mix

and...not much else to say after that that isn't me repeating myself

----

my biggest complaint is probably the low levels of the bass. it's really smooth, you should feature it more prominently in the mix!

I like your mix a lot more than the original, so kudos to that. it just needs a little more work. :)

this is kinda quiet! you should normalize it on your next render!

listening through:

I think I might make the lead at 0:36 a bit...stronger? like decrease the low pass slightly, or something. I can't really place what it is exactly, but it strikes me as too soft, I think.

1:10 is the highlight of your mix, imo. just needs a more prominent bass.

1:27 that gated synth just doesn't sit well with me. I can't really place why :S

the synth that enters around 1:38 is probably the best one in the mix

and...not much else to say after that that isn't me repeating myself

----

my biggest complaint is probably the low levels of the bass. it's really smooth, you should feature it more prominently in the mix!

I like your mix a lot more than the original, so kudos to that. it just needs a little more work. :)

I think this is marvelous feedback! Thanks so much, and I don't think you were repeating yourself at all. I will go back in and try to perform further surgery. Cheers!

Nice! You took a very repetitive original and did some good stuff with it.

I agree that it's very quiet. Makes it sound a bit flat.

Related to that: I think you could stand to brighten the sound on all of your lead synths, and maybe the piano as well. Bring out those high partials and make those important parts stand out!

The embellished melody at 3:20 is good, but I feel it could do more. That section should really build to something great at the end.

I love the fact that you're switching up the drum patterns and not just doing the same thing over and over.

Overall, good stuff. Thanks for sharing!

Interesting! Source has some nice chords so it lends itself well to the treatment you gave it here.

First thing to notice is that the mix is very very quiet. I'm terrible at making loud mixes but this one is way too quiet!

Anyway, regarding the mixing. Most elements sound good and are easy to pick appart from each other. However, I feel the bass is lacking. Kick has barely any low frequencies and the bass is very low volume, which is a shame since what I can hear from it sounds good, although it seems to lack a bit of articulations to make it sound better.

Regarding the arrangement, it's a nice take on the source. I feel it gets a tad repetitive though, you could try making more chord variations or switching the key of the song. You could also try having a break in the middle with only piano or something to switch it up. Maybe even going to 6/8 like the source for a bit would be cool.

Only thing that bothers me is the back-up synth pad, which I'm almost sure is playing some off-notes in the second chord of the main progression. It sounds a tad off to me.

Anyway. This is very cool, particularly the break at 1:10 which is very nice!

I'm going to strike my complaint about the synths at 0:36. sounds good to me now, though I'm not sure if that's my perception or if you did subtly change it... <_<

the piano that you bring in around the 2 minute mark is slightly too loud, kinda overpowering everything else

but on that same section: oh man dat bass. that's how it should be!

and again around the 4 minute mark. good.

I'd say bring it up even more, perhaps with some saturation or something, but that might be too much (I'm known to have a bias towards over-cranked bass)

weirdly, though, the bassline around 1:10 strikes me as a little bit weaker than I remember it...arrangement-wise, not mixing-wise. I'm not sure what to think of that.