Donkey Kong Country 2 - Forest of Enchanment (Forest Interlude Remix)

NyxTheShield

Hi to everyone, i am currently working on a full fledged Forest Interlude remix, but before advancing into the arrangement (i still added my touch c:) , i wanted to ask some feedback on the overall sound and vibe of the track:

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Scrapped the mix, changed title to "The Forest of Melancholy", (Remix between Forest Interlude and Mining Melancholy), check the new link.

Edited by NyxTheShield

Well, I think the arrangement is very close to the source tune. Too close, actually. The notes and main instrumentation are really similar. So similar, that I can predict almost the exact notes that'll come next. :whatevaa: Even similar tonal metallic percussion from "Forest Interude" is in here somewhere. In other words, it's not so surprisingly interpretive that I'd go "woah, that's some creativity there." So, if you're looking to get onto OCR, this is the biggest problem with the make-up of the remix. It's too conservative.

Other issues that are almost as major:

- The piano is very mechanical; it sounds like it either has no more than one velocity layer, its velocity response is flat, or the velocities here have too little variation.

- Finally, at 2:51 I hear something in the piano notes differentiating from the source tune. That kind of interpretation could have come earlier, and it would have helped a little on the arrangement side of things.

- The mix as a whole, besides the piano, has lots of instruments that feel too quantized (and so they also sound mechanical).

- Sudden ending, and note decay (it just cuts off without a full fade).

So overall, for OCR at least, this would need more substantial interpretation of "Forest Interude" through new harmonies, instruments, melodic contour, etc., more rhythmic error to make the instruments sound more realistic, and a slightly tweaked ending. In isolation it does sound great though. The mixing seems pretty sufficient, though a little much on the bass.

Edited by timaeus222

Well, I think the arrangement is very close to the source tune. Too close, actually. The notes and main instrumentation are really similar. So similar, that I can predict almost the exact notes that'll come next. :whatevaa: Even similar tonal metallic percussion from "Forest Interude" is in here somewhere. In other words, it's not so surprisingly interpretive that I'd go "woah, that's some creativity there." So, if you're looking to get onto OCR, this is the biggest problem with the make-up of the remix. It's too conservative.

Other issues that are almost as major:

- The piano is very mechanical; it sounds like it either has no more than one velocity layer, its velocity response is flat, or the velocities here have too little variation.

- Finally, at 2:51 I hear something in the piano notes differentiating from the source tune. That kind of interpretation could have come earlier, and it would have helped a little on the arrangement side of things.

- The mix as a whole, besides the piano, has lots of instruments that feel too quantized (and so they also sound mechanical).

- Sudden ending, and note decay (it just cuts off without a full fade).

So overall, for OCR at least, this would need more substantial interpretation of "Forest Interude" through new harmonies, instruments, melodic contour, etc., more rhythmic error to make the instruments sound more realistic, and a slightly tweaked ending. In isolation it does sound great though. The mixing seems pretty sufficient, though a little much on the bass.

Thanks for the feedback ^^

- The main piano? Now that you mention it, i totally forgot to add automation to it O-o Every other instrument and piano has its velocity, pan and volume adjusted except for that one, i am gonna work on it asap.

- At 2:20 onwards "Mining Melancholy" kicks in, thats why it sounds different.

- The ending was made to loop perfectly, i totally forgot to fade it too, thanks for that as well.

I really appreciate the feedback, i really, really want to try to get this in OCR, every bit of feedback is amazing.

So, in short, make some of the instruments less mechanical, add some variation so is not so close to the original, and overall try to make it more fresh, right?

I think i will keep the heavy bass, thats something i love about the original hahahaha, thanks again ^^

Thanks for the feedback ^^

- The main piano? Now that you mention it, i totally forgot to add automation to it O-o Every other instrument and piano has its velocity, pan and volume adjusted except for that one, i am gonna work on it asap.

- At 2:20 onwards "Mining Melancholy" kicks in, thats why it sounds different.

- The ending was made to loop perfectly, i totally forgot to fade it too, thanks for that as well.

I really appreciate the feedback, i really, really want to try to get this in OCR, every bit of feedback is amazing.

So, in short, make some of the instruments less mechanical, add some variation so is not so close to the original, and overall try to make it more fresh, right?

I think i will keep the heavy bass, thats something i love about the original hahahaha, thanks again ^^

Yeah, you got it! :)