OCR00549 - Top Gear 3000 "Shop Mix"

orkybash

Top Gear 3000 'Shop Mix'

Suggestion: GET A BETTER BASS SAMPLE! That really killed the mix for me. The rest of it was pretty enjoyable, if a bit repetitive. Coulda used a bit more reverb too. But overall it's obvious Collaborator put some effort into this one, which is too bad because some minor problems really make it only about .001% as enjoyable as it could have been.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

The mix starts out nicely with some strings, but then a pretty weak synth bass comes in and brings it down a bit. The piano playing the melody is nice, and the the panned delay is a nice touch. I'm not digging the brass sample much either. It gets the job done, and only is in a few parts, however. The ending is completely strange, however, and not effective at all. Adding the strings from beginning underneath the current ending would have been much better and would have required little effort.

Decent but not for me.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Hmm

Not a bad mix

Problems for me include the sax quality (which is a big let down for the piece)

The bass is too loud and drowns out the pad which I quite like, despite a lack of reverb for it to flow.

Also, the bass plays an off note in the main section on the root key. It plays a minor 3rd note in a major key which bothers me :(

Drums sound weak, where is the bass drum?

The piano sounds nice, I little dry tho, and too loud - there are deffo some mixing problems here, it sounds like the piano and the bass are fighting for the main instrument role, although the sax is a bad lead sound anyway.

Weird ending.

I am not familiar with the source, but it I am guessing there aren't any original sections. Can't be sure tho :P

However, I like the chill out mood. It hasn't dated well, but its not bad. I think it could have been better tho.

I can tell that the sax quality is off, but I really like the piano in this mix and really wish it was featured more.

imho, it's a little to fast for it to be a chill mix, but it definitely is in that direction.

Ultimately a not bad mix; it's growing on me bit by bit.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...

It's not a bad feel if we're going for something more laid back (something I personally may not quite expect from the Top Gear series, so credit where credit is due). Pleasantly worked out in regards to writing (if not simplistic), and I thought the echoed piano, while a little crudely done, was actually a clever touch to the instrument spacing.

Yet, the track to me kind of feels very straightforward in structure, not to mention sounding somewhat dated in the sound selection, most notably looking towards the saxophone sample here. Thus to me it feels somewhat dated in comparison to some of the other 2002 tracks, so in spite of some good ideas it just came off as a bit bland, sorry :\

• 1 year later...

I like the way this ReMix has been interpreted. It's soft like floating out in open space, the opening bass is a tribute to the ol' Genesis (the rival of my game system) and the exact timing allowed me to whistle to it, something that's pretty rare among ReMixes around these parts. Normally I must listen at least three times to be able to whistle to it while working, but no problem here. Well done Neil!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00549 - Top Gear 3000 "Shop Mix"