Sonic 3 - Marble Garden Zone Act 2

TheNewellGuy

Hello there! This my first thread on here sharing my work but don't be afraid to be honest with me.

My attempt at creating a somewhat more modern sounding version of this track (albeit using an ancient version of garageband).

I'd especialy like some advice on capturing the harmonica-like tone on the lead voice and maybe on ways to better end the song.

Headphones/stereo speakers are recommended.

Source:

"Remix:"

http://tindeck.com/listen/ciog

Thanks for listening.

Edited by TheNewellGuy

Hi there. A few things strike me about this:

1) You've changed the notes on the downbeats in the bass line, and it impacts the way the ear hears the harmonies, IMO. The very first note in the original is a low C#, establishing key unambiguously. Your first note is a B.

2) The delay on your lead sounds a little funky. At first I thought it wasn't properly synced with the tempo, but it sounds like it actually is. I think the problem is that it's way too prominent. I'd suggest turning it down or darkening the sound or something like that. Right now it's distracting.

3) Toward the end of the chorus, there's some harmonic clashing. You may want to spell out the chords you want there and make sure that there's no problem notes.

4) The pad chords during the chorus are a little too loud and muddy.

The arrangement is good, though perhaps a bit on the conservative side. Perhaps some kind of solo would be good? Either before the last chorus or as an outro?

As for capturing the lead voice: why do you want it to be the same? :-)

However, what the original did was probably some kind of combination of square waves that are slightly detuned from each other, and with the upper partials really spiked. That's just a guess, though.