OCR03112 - *YES* Final Fantasy 4 & 13 'Eclipse' *RESUB*

Chimpazilla

previous decision

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

edit 1/15/15:

Booya!

Thanks for your patience. Replaced all of the reverse cymbals. And tuned the kick. And a few other lil volume things. Used one of your rev cymbals. The big one you hear in the track.

Cheers,

~Shaun

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Kristina,

Good news and bad news. The previous link:

Is going to be the last version of the track. The damn project freezes my computer no matter what. I won''t be able to tweak anything else. Been trying for the past week or two to get it to open with absolutely no luck.

Would you be able to throw that back on the panel? Thanks! Hope your holidays went well.

Cheers,

~Shaun

Hi :)www.sonic-elements.com

Cry:

Sazh:

Edited by Chimpazilla

I really liked this song when Shaun first submitted it, but it had some harmonic issues and smeary pads. He was able to correct most of those problems, but what I hear now is that his cymbal transitions are very sloppy. He sent the revision to me and I mentioned this to him, and I even sent him a library of cymbal transitions that I made myself, for which he thanked me. But it seems that now he can't open the file at all. Before I vote NO on this resub, does anyone have any suggestions for him on how to smooth those transitions out, given that the file won't open? Or, anyone think that the transitions aren't that big of a deal?

edit 1/12/15: Shaun was finally able (after hours of work with his soundcard) to open this file. He will be sending a revision with the cymbal transitions fixed! Please don't vote on the track until this is done.

edit 1/15/15: Shaun sent me the revised track today and WOW it sounds so much better! It was already a great track with just a few production and harmonic issues to sort out. He fixed the issues and tightened everything up too, and added a few more surprises. It is truly a dynamite track now! Very clean, very danceable and groovy, fun varied arrangement, good dynamics. Recommended!

YES

Edited by Chimpazilla

• 2 weeks later...

MUCH better! This addressed nearly all of my issues with the previous submission, it feels much more focused and complete as a track, leaving all of the ideas that worked intact while scrapping some of the less successful ones from the first go-around. Your production seems to be improved across the board... really, this is just clicking so much better.

I still feel that your lead synth design is underwhelming and lacking in expression, so some of the synth solos fall flat for me, but in the face of everything that this track gets right, this is an easy call for me.

YES

Production-wise, it's now cramped & muddy. Also, I'm underwhelmed by the sound design and would love to hear something to give these synths more personality and uniqueness. This got the job done when the mixing was cleaner and more spacious, like a strong club mix, but now it's just murky. Arrangement-wise, it still gets it done.

I'm surprised I'm changing my vote, but the first version was cleaner, and this unfortunately isn't. Maybe I'll be the outlier again, and I don't know which way others will go, but this was a significant step back for me re: the mixing.

NO (resubmit)

Weird, everyone flipped their vote on this so far. I'm coming in fresh and I'm overall liking what I'm hearing. The kick is kind of murky rather than crisp, and maybe that is what Larry is getting at. I don't agree with him that the mixing is too crowded though. I liked the overall soundscape and balance and thought the instruments had good separation. If I have any complaint, it's that sometimes the writing gets too random when it deviates from the source. It sounds like changes made for change's sake, rather than something inspired. Still, with a wonderfully dark mood, sick groove, and good attention to detail, I gotta pass this.

YES

Not much to add. I didn't really find the mix overly crowded either (though it is a bit dense at times), though I can also see the point about the kick tone. The snare fill that comes in a couple times seemed overly loud to be and could be toned down.

Arrangement is pretty solid, with clear connections to the source and creative interpretation of both the backing parts and melody of Cry of Sorrow. The writing at :48 was a bit odd, almost like the song lost its way for a few seconds before getting back on track. I also wasn't 100% on board with the transition section at 2:32, as it also seemed a bit aimless/unfocused. The integration of Sazh's theme definitely felt more forced than the Sorrow theme, which is understandable given the loose, jazzy feel of the original.

Still, as a whole, this is clicking for me.

YES