OCR01505 - *YES* Metal Gear Solid 'Legend of the Snake 2: Snake vs. Dragon'

djpretzel

Remixer Name: Reuben Kee

Email add: reu@(removethiscomment)reubenkee.com

Name of Game: Metal Gear Solid I-III

Name of individual songs: Main themes

Blurb:

The original "Legend of the Snake was done as an experiment to try combine elements of orchestra, digital beats, western new age and oriental new age altogether.

One year and many projects later, I got the funny idea to see how much I've improved... plus I managed to include the theme song from mgs3.

My inspiration for this one is once again, fighting. A heroic build up, the pre battle-meditation, remembering why he fights, and then the fight, a setback, gathering the strength to stand up again, and then finally the victory.

I don’t think I’ve ever spent so much time and experimented to so much to learn and discover new aspects to arranging before. Hope you guys enjoy XD

Url:

--

Play 100s of games for FREE! http://games.mail.com/

I LOVE the original themes here and am very familiar with them. It's pretty obvious even from the first section that the MGS3 theme is present, albeit arranged creatively (I like what you did with the chord progression). The ambient sound effects and the ethnic instruments + percussion are all well-done. Though, when the main MGS theme comes in, I gotta say that the bass was a little heavy and the panning threw me off. Shoving the big drums AND the melody in the right ear seems a little pointless in my opinion, and distracting. The brass sample wasn't very convincing either. However, once the breakbeat comes in, things come together a lot more and feel more balanced and tight. What can I say, groove bias. :)

I could go through and talk about what I liked about all the following sections, but I don't think there's a point. This is just very good in both production, arrangement, and structure. The brass samples and the fact that the low-end is a bit overpowering would be my only complaints in the production department, and I don't think I can really make any significant complaints about arrangement. It's cool that you didn't use the same ending chord progression as the original - that was unexpected.

Maybe not as dramatic as the original MGS3 song (which is pretty hard to top), but most certainly a creative and unique interpretation.

YES

Metal Gear Solid Original Game Soundtrack - (01) "Metal Gear Solid Main Theme"

Metal Gear Solid 2 Sons of Liberty Original Soundtrack - (01) "'Metal Gear Solid' Main Theme"

Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater Original Soundtrack - (01) "'METAL GEAR SOLID' Main Theme (METAL GEAR SOLID 3 version)"

I dare Larry to come up with a reason to say NO to this.

Well, I was gonna NO it just to counter your YES, but then you actually predicted my vote, so I pull da reverse pyschology now. I go YEZ. I don't not have to explain myself.

[sic]