Annual winter depression

nOkbient

I get it every winter, too. Hoping to rectify that with a move to a nicer climate soon. My best advice is to keep your mind busy. Get obsessed with something that doesn't remind you how dark and gray it is outside. Do some indoor exercises like push-ups. Keep up consistent sleep habits and avoid alcohol. Most of all, allow yourself to have a "blah" day once in a while where you do nothing; that usually helps me recharge after weeks of expending energy to keep my spirits up.

If you're in the Northeastern US, the coldest day of the year is only a week or two away and it gets warmer from there, so hang in there!

Nope, I love winter. It's my least favorite season, but I love every season for different reasons. I'm a nature-lover. And it's very beautiful where I live. :) It gets really cold here for sure, though.

What does make me feel kinda gloomy is cold, wet, and gray days. I have found some things about those days that I enjoy and I just work on my music and play video games and just kinda jump around to keep myself active and whatnot, but I definitely could say I often feel gloomy on rainy days. I like it bright and colorful.

Hope ya feel better, bro! :)

I live in Canada. It snows like, 8 months out of the year minimum.

I often find myself screaming at the cold, unforgiving, lifeless sky. Speaking to a god who does not care or is not there at all. Demanding that it cease the snowfall and let blue skies and life return to the land. It answers with only silence and more snow, turning the world into a cold white wasteland.

The only way to deal with it, is to escape it. I wish I lived in the Caribbean or something. God damn the Canadian government for not making Turks & Caicos into a province. Damn them. I'd be leading the exodus out of this place if only those islands became a province.

I'm fortunate enough to live in a place that gets all four seasons, lol, so I don't get too much winter, thankfully. It's easily my least favorite, mainly just because I hate driving in the snow. I'm even reasonably ok at doing it, I just hate to do so. Also, SADD (Seasonal Affective Depression Disorder) is totally a thing that happens to many of us, myself included. I don't get it so bad, but yeah, there are days in the winter where I'm just much gloomier for no apparent reason, and then I look up and remember.

Hm..Mine is more of a "Annual Summer Depression". I do get a little down in the winter, but I usually keep busy. I tend to enjoy the cold and the overall "grey" atmosphere, and the rain doesn't bug me much. On the flip side, I'm not a huge fan of the heat(it regularly hits 100F here) and my productivity tends to drop a lot in summer. That's when my annual depression tends to kick in.

I'm also in the midst of my nearly-yearly "Oh god, nothing will ever be right and I'm never going to succeed at anything" depression. I think it has less to do with the winter than with post-holiday blues though. I deal with depression year round, but yes, it's definitely the worst in January. Time outside can help, if only to get more sun.

That being said, this is usually when I shut myself up in my studio and listen to way too much Skinny Puppy, so YMMV.

I'm fortunate enough to live in a place that gets all four seasons, lol, so I don't get too much winter, thankfully. It's easily my least favorite, mainly just because I hate driving in the snow. I'm even reasonably ok at doing it, I just hate to do so. Also, SADD (Seasonal Affective Depression Disorder) is totally a thing that happens to many of us, myself included. I don't get it so bad, but yeah, there are days in the winter where I'm just much gloomier for no apparent reason, and then I look up and remember.

Well, keep your head up, because with all this "global warming" stuff, NC won't be seeing much winter in years to come! :tomatoface:

That being said, I'm like Garrett W. Don't mind winter, but I hate the "blah" days. Cold, dreary, gray, rainy. If it's dreary and snowy I hate it too, but usually it's the gray and dreary that'll do it for me, even in summer.

Well, keep your head up, because with all this "global warming" stuff, NC won't be seeing much winter in years to come! :tomatoface:

Lol, yeah, up here in the mountains I'm gonna have beachfront property by the time I'm an old man. Oy vey...

Also,

I get it reasonably hard, but getting a lot of extra vitamins and then going to a tanning booth a few times a month helps me reasonably well.

I guess tanning booths really do have a purpose beyond vanity, then. That's pretty neat.

That being said, I'm like Garrett W. Don't mind winter, but I hate the "blah" days. Cold, dreary, gray, rainy. If it's dreary and snowy I hate it too, but usually it's the gray and dreary that'll do it for me, even in summer.

I love snow for about a day or maybe at most two days and then I'm like "ok, time for Spring please".

There is a LOT I love about snow but I also can't constantly have it. Again, I like when it's sunny out and I like that when it's snowing too. It melts faster so I don't have to deal with it forever and it also looks way prettier. I love the way snow looks when the sun is out, especially the morning and evening sun.

But yeah, definitely would agree that gray and wet days are almost always something I can't really dig. I always try finding good reasons to enjoy a day like that and I think there is always some good in some gray and wet days, but it's not my cup of coffee.

I'd definitely have quite a few cups of coffee on a gray and wet day, though.

Usually between January and February is my real downtime mood-wise. That's because every year since 2002, I keep remembering February 7th 2002, a day that changed my life forever. I won't get into it, it actually ruined me psychologically speaking.

Prayer, meditation, and a good dose of music similar to "Happy by Pharrell Williams" gets me up and going again. This year, I've actually been doing a lot of exercising as well as getting lots of music done. Can't wait to see what the future holds.

Edited by A-RoN