1. 1. Post this mix?

Several neat things going on here in this remix, but it doesn't

seem like many of them ever coincide. The four on the floor style of

dance just doesn't seem to lend itself to spartan arrangement. The

lead synth line is neat, sorta warbly and whimsical, not unlike the theme

itself. However I think it just needs more support. Some spiced up

drums, something than just a synth line and a thud-hat-thud-crash

drum line.

I'd reall like to hear the original of this, but yeah. It sounds really empty. Not a whole lot to it, but I say this from the vantage point of someone who puts a lot into his mixes. So maybe it WAS a lot for this guy, but it really sounds empty. But like I said, I wanna hear the original so I have something to compare it to before I vote. What system was this game for? anyone know?

DC

OK, for a minimalist style, I would say this comes close, but it's not quite there. It's cleaver, it's catchy, but there's still something wrong with it.

What's that? Unity. Especially near the beginning of the song, it goes through several shifts without any unifying element to tie it together (except for, in some instances, a common theme). There aren't even any transitions to speak of.

I also noticed some notes clashing in the section around 0:40 - just a quick observation.

And, as others have mentioned, it needs a little more to spice it up. I would try adding some harmony - my observation is that all the parts play pretty much the same notes, just at different octaves.

I'm really debating what to give this, as it's almost there. But, it could use just a little more work. So, my vote's "no".

:idea: Okay, I just emailed Gman and asked for a sample. Here is the text of my letter:

Hello Gman. This is Antonio Pizza. If you could sample the original

version of the track through at least 2 or 3 full loops, that would REALLY

be helpful. You know, post it on the same server as the remix (which a few

of us had trouble reaching.) If you have the nsf or gym, or whatever, that

would be even better.

If you can't sample the song for whatever reason, could you tell us what

system the game is on or provide us with the ROM as well as the stage the

music is from?

I hope this isn't asking a great deal, but comparision with the original

soundtrack will greatly assist us in reviewing you submission. Thank you

for your time and have a nice day.

-Antonio Pizza

Cross your fingers :roll:

Okay. He sent it. Here is the text of his letter

Hey,

Yeah, I had a BUNCH of trouble findding an NSF file Roger rabbit..I guess it

was a very unpopular game.(enjoyed it..)

Since I couldn't find it, and I don't know how to rip...And angelfire booted

out my site cause of violation of some kind...I desided to send you the rom

from rodger rabbit, directly via e-mail.

The song I remixed is right at the beggining of the game(I mean after the

title screen) And for the ending of my remix, I used the little song when

you pressed start on the title screen.

Well I hope I'm not causing you too much trouble. But I wanted an Original

game :)

Gman

That probably explains why orky and I couldn't access the submission. We got there too late...

Anyway since I'm working from 3pm-3am(EST) and I've only caught Dan on mIRC so far, I'm gonna have to ask CotMM if he wouldn't mind hosting the ROM (do you sense a pattern here?). I've emailed it to the address specified in your profile, CotMM. Thanks again :lol:

Hopefully this might help us out some more, Dan.

Like has already been said, there needs to be a bit more going on here - a lot more.

I recognise the synth :idea: , this was made in Fruityloops. Because the mix was most likely step-programmed, it must have been time-consuming. The quality of sound is good. Nevertheless, it needs to be further developed.

Like Antonio says, let's hear the original, perhaps it will give us more scope.

I mean no. Well

I'll put some constructive criticism here to help, or at least with that intention.

This mix is quite empty. And sometimes empty can be ok, if it's used effectively, although that opens a door to a whole other discussion. But in this case, it seems like the mixer was relying on the backbeat to keep the piece together. Now I like a backbeat as much as the next raver, but it can't be the only thing that keeps a song together. It's nice to use it to keep track of where you are ... I think I'm losing my train of thought. Man I hate it when this happens. Anyway, my point is, it could probably use some filling. Whether that means you need to add some background chords to fill out the sound a bit, or perhaps some arpeggios to give us a better idea of what key we're in. Even a bass line would be a nice addition. It just seems to be very two-part right now. Beat, and melody (also a little submelody, but they're only played together a couple of times).

The thing is, with NES songs, the textures are usually very thin anyway, so you'd probably want to EXPAND upon that, since the sound is so hollow in the original. I think more could be done with it, but I don't want to sound like "your song sucks! Do it over! Or just do us a favor and get rid of it!" because that's not what I'm thinking. In my musical opinion, it sounds hollow, and could use some work along the lines of what I've already discussed. thank you.

DC

:o

Oh dear.

Well, I must say that I liked the beginning.

But after about 0:24 it just wasn't as good to me.

The panning was an interesting effect.

I didn't care for the instruments. That warbling [for lack of a better word] effect on the samples in the later part of the mix really got on my nerves.

I'd also have to say that it was kind of empty, sounded like it was missing something in a lot of parts.

I'm gonna have to go with a No on this mix.

Constructive critisism? Hmm, change up the warbly samples, add some more what I think the super music people call "Layers," and it would be much better.

Will this thread never DIE :?::?::?:

j/k. Inanycase, GMan has emailed me seeking confirmation that I received the WFRR? rom and the status of his mix.

I've got a nice little letter set to go, but I didn't want to mail it off without Matt's, Orky's, and Dan's "okay", as their comments are specifically contained therein. I figured to just go ahead and do so would be...rude.

So here's what I wrote him:

Dear GMan,

I received the rom just fine (thank you!), but some of the judges had trouble accessing your mix. Luckily, one of them got it before Angelfire removed it and posted it on a private ftp for the others to grab (whew.)

Unfortunately, the OCR submissions panel has decided not to post your mix at this time. However, the panel has compiled comments that may help you should you decide to resubmit your mix in the future.

======================================

Judge 1: Several neat things going on here in this remix, but it doesn't seem like many of them ever coincide. The four on the floor style of dance just doesn't seem to lend itself to spartan arrangement. The lead synth line is neat, sorta warbly and whimsical, not unlike the theme itself. However I think it just needs more support. Some spiced up drums, something than just a synth line and a thud-hat-thud-crash drum line.

Judge 2: OK, for a minimalist style, I would say this comes close, but it's not quite there. It's clever, it's catchy, but there's still something wrong with it.

What's that? Unity. Especially near the beginning of the song, it goes through several shifts without any unifying element to tie it together (except for, in some instances, a common theme). There aren't even any transitions to speak of.

I also noticed some notes clashing in the section around 0:40 - just a quick observation.

And, as others have mentioned, it needs a little more to spice it up. I would try adding some harmony - my observation is that all the parts play pretty much the same notes, just at different octaves.

I'm really debating what to give this, as it's almost there. But, it could use just a little more work.

Judge 3: I'll put some constructive criticism here to help, or at least with that intention.

This mix is quite empty. And sometimes empty can be ok, if it's used effectively, although that opens a door to a whole other discussion. But in this case, it seems like the mixer was relying on the backbeat to keep the piece together. Now I like a backbeat as much as the next raver, but it can't be the only thing that keeps a song together. It's nice to use it to keep track of where you are. Anyway, my point is, it could probably use some filling. Whether that means you need to add some background chords to fill out the sound a bit, or perhaps some arpeggios to give us a better idea of what key we're in. Even a bass line would be a nice addition. It just seems to be very two-part right now. Beat, and melody (also a little submelody, but they're only played together a couple of times).

The thing is, with NES songs, the textures are usually very thin anyway, so you'd probably want to EXPAND upon that, since the sound is so hollow in the original. I think more could be done with it, but I don't want to sound like "your song sucks! Do it over! Or just do us a favor and get rid of it!" because that's not what I'm thinking. In my musical opinion, it sounds hollow, and could use some work along the lines of what I've already discussed. thank you.

The important thing, GMan, is not to be discouraged. We look forward to a revamped version in the future to review once more, and hopefully, post. Thank you.

-Antonio Pizza & the OCR submissions panel.

Problems? Just hit me back with a go/no-go (we've all seen "Apollo 13", right?) :lol: