Shnabubula Archives!

Red Shadow

This morning I was saddened to discover that Sam has deleted himself from the internet again (bandcamp included! :cry:), so I was overjoyed to discover this website:

http://www.shnabubula-archives.com/

It doesn't have everything that used to be on arnoldascher.com, nor does it have a few albums from his bandcamp like Ender's Game or SNESology (really glad I downloaded those when I did), but it has everything else I was missing. Happy to at least have found this.

Unfortunately some of my favorites of Sam's work that are still missing are:

- Playing Super Mario World While Taking Mushrooms

- Adventures in Dinosaur Land (Supernesology)

- Super Mario Bros Alternate Reality x3

- Super Street Fighter Alternate Reality Edition

(I know I mostly plugged the Mario rearrangements, but those ones always stuck with me).

I'm wondering if he's being internet stalked. I've had to take down things online sometimes because of that. I recently stopped freelancing due to internet stalkage. Or is he depressed? For such a great musician I can understand the two of these possibilities.

Edited by A-RoN
should have read whole thread

Can someone give me some background on Shnabubula? It's a name I've seen thrown around some in chiptune circles, but I don't know who he was or anything. I get the sense he was an exceptional songwriter, and that he (maybe?) had a tendency to remove his online presence from time to time?

He made a lot of amazing remixes here that you should check out and he used to be a judge here at one point...god nearly 10 years ago. And he's an exceptional piano player, it's always a pleasure to hear him play. Chip music is something he got quite heavily into in recent years and was bang on the money.

Unfortunately some of my favorites of Sam's work that are still missing are:

- Playing Super Mario World While Taking Mushrooms

- Adventures in Dinosaur Land (Supernesology)

- Super Mario Bros Alternate Reality x3

- Super Street Fighter Alternate Reality Edition

I have those...except for two of the alternate reality songs, I don't know why I don't have those. I'd be happy to upload anything anyone is missing.

Americana Dawn was not funded but I don't think that was the main reason why he left. He'll be back though, just needs time.

Can someone give me some background on Shnabubula? It's a name I've seen thrown around some in chiptune circles, but I don't know who he was or anything. I get the sense he was an exceptional songwriter, and that he (maybe?) had a tendency to remove his online presence from time to time?

Shnab is a musical genius with no equal. His brilliance defies description. He understands music on a level that is beyond comprehension to most of us. And as brain-numbingly brilliant as his studio compositions are, his live performances are even more amazing.

I'm actually not being at all hyperbolic with any of this.

Shnab is a musical genius with no equal. His brilliance defies description. He understands music on a level that is beyond comprehension to most of us. And as brain-numbingly brilliant as his studio compositions are, his live performances are even more amazing.

That's... fantastic. I will definitely check him out.

yup that about sums it up.

i just gave this another listen, and realized it's composed in movements like a full classical suite, or perhaps even an opera (the whole album has that type of compositional element on second thought, but this track in particular stood out). the guy is incredibly brilliant and it would be a shame for his music to disappear. i certainly hope he feels better and comes back to us soon

http://ubiktune.bandcamp.com/track/moonlight-passage

• 4 weeks later...

Could be that he feels insecure about his music because of some nasty comments about his earlier and present works. Internet can be a very vicious place after all. It's sad to see him do this; I really hope that Shabubula is able to overcome whatever negative factors are affecting his life. I wish the best for him. He's got mad talent and there are many who would kill for those musical chops.

Edited by HoboKa

• 3 weeks later...
He did this again? I don't say this to be mean, but... what's with this repeated "I'm taking my ball and going home" melodramatic stuff?

Unfortunately I think he suffers from sort of condition. For some reason it causes him to delete himself from the world time and time again. Thank the lawd for this repository of his work. I feel like such a fool for not downloading his stuff when I had the chance.

I completely get falling off the face of the planet and withdrawing, but taking the work with you? Does he hate being defined by that which he put so much work into?

that's just it; he doesn't

lol

ok on a serious note, his utter and complete control of his art makes even the most mind-bending stuff he does seem effortless to him. like this brilliant album here:

Shnabubula - Free Play

also, we shouldn't be making too much about what's behind his decisions to "delete himself" as he most certainly has his reasons. as the audience, all we can do is appreciate what he has created and shared with us because i'll be damned if it's not some of the most eye-opening, jaw-dropping music i have ever heard

• 7 months later...