OCR03119 - *YES* Dark Souls 2 'Like a Dream'

Chimpazilla

ReMixer - RoeTaKa

Name - Alex Roe

UserID - 9374

Games Arranged - Dark Souls 2

Arrangement Name - Like A Dream

Songs Arranged - Majula (used source from 0:00 to 1:30)

Game info -

Dark Souls 2

Composers - Motoi Sakuraba

Systems - Playstation 3, Xbox 360, PC

Comments:

So I really love Dark Souls 2, it's a great sequel. I knew I was going to remix this song before the game was released but I wanted to play the game first. Unlike my previous Souls mixes I just went for something more laid back and easier to listen to. I had a lot of ideas for this song, even making it sound like a Bond track haha. I instinctively made it into a 3/4 arrangement because it just flowed nicer for this style of song. Making this remix reminded me of old times, I just had a lot of fun doing it and that's all I can really ask for.

Edited by Clem

This is really a lovely 3/4 adaptation of this source. I like the remix better than the source because it is a more full soundscape.

I like the percussion but I wish there was a bit more variety in the writing, it gets pretty samey after awhile. A few extra percussion elements would be nice.

The string sequencing is somewhat fake sounding from 0:55-1:41, and the piano and guitar sequencing are noticeably stiff throughout. Things are mixed well though. It is a nice, moody yet upbeat listen.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

This combination of instruments, and particularly the acoustic guitar and piano samples that you're using, hearken back to the old days of OCRemix. This strongly reminds me of Disco Dan's "Green Amnesia" or Scott Peeples' "Another Inspiration." While the sample quality isn't totally realistic, your production quality has kept up with today's standards and your arrangement is fantastic, especially for such a simplistic source. This really does remind me of the "good old days."

Nothing more to say about this, I think this is excellent :-) I love how each of your Dark Souls submissions have been so personalized and unique from one-another, and from the sources that you're remixing. You're building up quite a nice catalog here Alex!

YES

I thought the introduction of the string leads at :54 brought mud into the mix; arguably not enough to drop it to NO, but enough to pull the quality down. Gotta clean up the production here.

The percussion pattern didn't vary from :01-1:41; you have to stop coasting on your core percussion patterns and employ more variation there; your not doing so legitimately undermines the dynamics and interest of your pieces.

1:40 moved over into piano. Back to the repetitive percussion pattern all the way from 2:17-3:37. Acoustic guitar at 2:16 didn't sound real but had a good tone. However, the mixing was muddy again there, so the melody kind of bled into the background.

Besides the percussion repeating too much, the arrangement of "Majula" was definitely developed and was interpretive enough. This has fewer issues than Dark Souls 'E.S. Gwyn,' and if this passed, I wouldn't be mad. That said, I thought the perc pattern's repetition for 75% of the piece was just far too long without variation/development, and the mixing could use another pass for better clarity and balance. In combination, those were dealbreakers for me. It's a great first pass, Alex, but it needs tightening up to be on totally solid ground.

NO (resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...

I can kinda see Larry's crits, but I'm on the boat that overall the flaws aren't enough to bring it below the bar. The arrangement is a beautiful expansion on the original, and the flow is very nice overall. Definitely like the combination of instruments you've used. While I wouldn't mind another pass to fix a couple of the issues (probably mostly the drums), I think this is good to go as-is.

YES

Very nice, expansive arrangement. Really liked the various organic instruments with the lush backing strings.

I can hear both of Larry's main crits, there could certainly be more variation in the percussion and the mixing is a bit indistinct. Still, like DA, these didn't feel like these were dealbreakers. As a package, this one is over the bar for me.

YES

Chill, relaxing, well produced. The Dark Souls drama is fully intact but tastefully laid back. I enjoy the gradual build into dispassionate climax. There is a bit of muddiness introduced by that bass drum sound, but I feel it’s pretty well controlled. Not much more to say than that. Good job, man.

YES