OCR00557 - Secret of Mana "Whispering Prayers"

orkybash

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
Secret of mana music can be twisted practically into anything. Great stuff.

Indeed, this is originally a very sad track, but VotF have turned it into something more happier and mysterious. The arrangement itself is pretty good, but it sounds like if the intruments that's being used has been taken directly from the game, since they have the same SNES-ish feeling.

But I still like it, with some bells and flutes and some strings to make it more relaxing and smooth. The sounds of birds and monkeys screaming adds some natural effect to it. :lol:

A very nice arrangement.

• 8 months later...

Yeah I was def expected a very sad and emotional piece. This is somewhat chillout style. It's done out very nicely, good job on the recomposition and lil ambient additions.

I just wish it was done today with some of the sounds that are available today that weren't available back then. But still this a sweet song. The sounds that are used fit the piece well, kudos on the sound design. The lead synth for the melody still sounds pretty sweet and matches the emotion being displayed.

• 5 months later...

Pretty decent, that monkey sounds pissed!

Not terribly deviant from the original as far as additional sections, but there is a cool shift in tone for the song overall.

I like the piano in this, it is very evocative and mysterious.

The ending, however is really bad. It gets cut off so abruptly, i thought the mp3 was corrupted. :-(

• 5 months later...

Source is definitely Kikuta, and this remix is a decent remix of it. Seeing how old it is, I'm pleasantly surprised. It's still listenable. :D A number of sound effects make it pretty atmospheric. The drums cheapen it a bit, at least in the intro, and I feel the end could have used those two minutes it'd take to set the notes to fade out rather than just pop off. But overall, it's not much worse than what's being approved today, at least not when listening through laptop speakers.

I like this mix, because while it remains pretty true to the original, it has a subtle shift in tone that I enjoy in it. It's nothing special, but it's still enjoyable to listen to.

Sound effects at the beginning are an interesting touch. The screaming monkey's a little weird in my book, though.

An ubrupt ending, but not as terribly bad as the other reviews make it seem. I don't have too much of a problem with it.

• 1 year later...

The animal sound effects in the beginning are great. The track has the same quality of tone present in Protricity's DKII mix, Forest Birdcussion. There seems to be little actually happening in the way of actual music but the feel of the slow percussion and the animal effects gives the mix a great feel, very enjoyable.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It seems to me that this mix went off in a weird direction.

I really wanted to like this one, but it just doesn't really make it.

It's too short, too repetitive, and doesn't really go with the nature sounds in the intro, imo.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...

It's hard to deal with one of the more beautiful tracks in the Secret of Mana score in this kind of fashion, but I guess it does kind of fit for something slightly more uptempo.

Though, in spite of it being in the short-and-sweet category, it to me feels somewhat rough. It's almost entirely a straight cover, give or take the sound effect intro, the translation of the second-to-last phrase to a standard 4/4 as opposed to the original's 7/4 and the booming piano. And even then the production feels a little weak, with grainy sound effects placed in (which I give credit for sounding somewhat appropriate) and levels being somewhat unattended to, notably with the strange loudness of the SFX and string parts.

So I have to say this is somewhat pale for a 2002 mix. But if you're looking for something that maintains its faithfulness to the source, you've got it, but don't expect to be completely wowed over :|

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00557 - Secret of Mana "Whispering Prayers"