Capcom's Mega Problem!

GoldnGamer97

Capcom is far from the toilet! They publish a lot of great games! There's a lot of hype behind deep down... much of the problem is that you can't really make a current gen Mega Man game.. I mean you COULD but it just wouldn't be the same as the old Mega Man. It'd be like how the new Sonic games just aren't as good as the old Sonic games.. they get close sometimes, like with Sonic Colors, but is it worth a bunch of bad games to eventually get 1 decent game? Is that what you want for Mega Man?! Or do you want them to keep making the 16-bit style games? There's not a huge audience for that these days you know. And there'd still be people saying "Oh that's not the REAAAAL Mega Man, that's a perversion of what Mega Man used to be!" How many of you bought Mega Man 9 and 10?

like I said, my knowledge with Capcom and Mega Man is very limited.

I get your point, though. I mean personally, Sonic Unleashed was quite decent, Sonic Generations was really good, Sonic Colors actually kinda bored me but that's probably just me, I really enjoyed the Sonic Adventure's (especially SA2), and Sonic Heroes is kinda cool but too slippery. All of that set aside, Sonic's transition to 3D was pretty rough and still is (clearly). I could understand how that could be the same with Mega Man. Some game franchises just can make it through anything, like Zelda, Mario, and Metroid.

So is Capcom doing ok? Cuz last I heard they weren't doing so well.

Granted, I think I read that on ZeldaInformer and they're sometimes known for being pretty biased. Everyone's biased, but some more than others.

Capcom is far from the toilet! They publish a lot of great games! There's a lot of hype behind deep down... much of the problem is that you can't really make a current gen Mega Man game.. I mean you COULD but it just wouldn't be the same as the old Mega Man. It'd be like how the new Sonic games just aren't as good as the old Sonic games.. they get close sometimes, like with Sonic Colors, but is it worth a bunch of bad games to eventually get 1 decent game? Is that what you want for Mega Man?! Or do you want them to keep making the 16-bit style games? There's not a huge audience for that these days you know. And there'd still be people saying "Oh that's not the REAAAAL Mega Man, that's a perversion of what Mega Man used to be!" How many of you bought Mega Man 9 and 10?

To be fair, most of the later Mega Man games never sunk to the depths that the Sonic franchise went to. It was just a few bad Mega Man X games. The Zero and ZX series were really good, and Battle Network and Star Force had their run. Mega Man games weren't really "bad games" in the same way that Sonic games were; Sonic games didn't just suffer from poor design choices, they were also poorly made. Mega Man games were—at the very least—technically sound.

But yeah, the real problem Capcom has with Mega Man is that while the games are good, they're not blockbuster successful, and there's a big fragmentation in the franchise. They have Classic, X, Zero, ZX, Legends, Battle Network, and Star Force. The brand identity is so spread out that it actually affects how financially successful the line is. Mega Man is a lot of different things to a lot different people, and that makes it hard for a company to pin down what to do with it.

but someone please explain to me where the common sense is in not making a new game with your most successful character while your company is slowly going down the toilet.

As of a month ago: http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Best_selling_Capcom_games

Examine that the first Mega Man game (Mega Man 2) appears at the 38th place. The next Mega Man game, Mega Man X, did much worse at 55th.

That's where your common sense is.

"Most successful character", sure. Most successful franchise? Absolutely not.

So is Capcom doing ok? Cuz last I heard they weren't doing so well.

Granted, I think I read that on ZeldaInformer and they're sometimes known for being pretty biased. Everyone's biased, but some more than others.

You could look it up or ask someone to do the research if you don't like perusing financial reports instead of casually saying "well, it seems like they're doing terrible, but I read that from a place that I think was biased, but I don't know anything about capcom, so" which contributes nothing to the discussion even if you were right.

But yeah, the real problem Capcom has with Mega Man is that while the games are good, they're not blockbuster successful, and there's a big fragmentation in the franchise. They have Classic, X, Zero, ZX, Legends, Battle Network, and Star Force. The brand identity is so spread out that it actually affects how financially successful the line is. Mega Man is a lot of different things to a lot different people, and that makes it hard for a company to pin down what to do with it.

Yeah, for me, I value the Zero series more than the others. It sort of deviated from the "kill boss, copy power, fight other boss" formula. It was still there, but it was more subtle, and the gameplay had a lot more interesting mechanics to it than jump and shoot. X was a little closer to normal Mega Man, but with more fluid mechanics like dashing and such, so I also like X series. I didn't really like original Mega Man (I enjoyed playing it but not as much as the other franchises) and I didn't really like Battle Network. Loved Star Force, though. I think I beat ZX and liked it, it played like Zero basically but with a different setting.

Edited by Neblix

Examine that the first Mega Man game appears at the 38th place.

You could look it up or ask someone to do the research instead of casually saying "well, it seems like they're doing terrible, but I read that from a place that I think was biased, but I don't know anything about capcom, so" which contributes nothing.

You really need to back off. He's asking perfectly valid questions and you're being unreasonably hostile. Knock it off.

You really need to back off. He's asking perfectly valid questions and you're being unreasonably hostile. Knock it off.

Loaded questions aren't valid. :???:

"Where is the common sense in not doing something with your most successful character?" is a question that assumes Capcom is lacking common sense for not doing something with their apparently most successful character. I merely gave an answer (with a link to back it up) that used the same type of language he did, so I'm confused why you're pointing fingers here. If it was a legitimate question, it would have been phrased like "Why isn't Capcom doing something with their most popular character?"

"Is Capcom doing all right? Last I checked, they weren't." is not a question, it's a statement, and an unverified one (and so is "company is going down the toilet").

Edited by Neblix

Examine that the first Mega Man game (Mega Man 2) appears at the 38th place. The next Mega Man game, Mega Man X, did much worse at 55th.

You could look it up or ask someone to do the research if you don't like perusing financial reports instead of casually saying "well, it seems like they're doing terrible, but I read that from a place that I think was biased, but I don't know anything about capcom, so" which contributes nothing to the discussion even if you were right.

whoa, chill out man.

I was just asking questions.

I get your point but I mean, man, this must be super serious or something.

But thanks for the info, it actually helped. I'm not a Mega Man guy, this is just what I've read. I just wanna know what everyone's input here is on the subject.

I question those numbers. They're counting downloads of current titles, but not of older ones like Mega Man. I also don't believe that Ghosts 'n' Goblins for the NES outsold Mega Man 2. Dino Crisis, Dino Crisis 2, and Commando are also bizarrely high.

Mega Man 2 is also probably one of the most highly pirated/emulated games out there, FWIW.

Retro games just aren't a cash cow for a AAA studio. Supporting Mega Man peripherally--homages and cameos in other games, official support of remix artists and fan projects, not getting in the way of deliberate clones like Mighty No. 9--is a good way to go. It acknowledges the fans and maintains good will while not sinking development money into financial stinkers and diluting the brand even further. Better this than Sonic Boom.

Maybe if Mario Maker is successful they'll reconsider Mega Man Universe.

I get your point but I mean, man, this must be super serious or something.

It is quite a hot topic on the internet. Best to avoid it. :sleepdepriv:

I question those numbers. They're counting downloads of current titles, but not of older ones like Mega Man. I also don't believe that Ghosts 'n' Goblins for the NES outsold Mega Man 2. Dino Crisis, Dino Crisis 2, and Commando are also bizarrely high.

They're straight from Capcom, though. :/

Mega Man 2 is also probably one of the most highly pirated/emulated games out there, FWIW.

I don't think that applies. Pirates and emulations don't make a company money. If we're talking about Bestsellers, non-sold copies are not a valid statistic. (exposure don't pay bills...)

Retro games just aren't a cash cow for a AAA studio. Supporting Mega Man peripherally--homages and cameos in other games, official support of remix artists and fan projects, not getting in the way of deliberate clones like Mighty No. 9--is a good way to go. It acknowledges the fans and maintains good will while not sinking development money into financial stinkers and diluting the brand even further.

You're right, and they are supporting it peripherally. So it's not like Mega Man is scrap (I feel like people imply it is). They're still respecting the IP, somewhat.

Better this than Sonic Boom.

It's an entertaining show. 8-)

Edited by Neblix

At least Capcom didn't run him into the ground with tons of bad games. Sure, there have a been a few misses, but even the more-rushed games were still fun (okay Mega Man X7 was disappointing). At least one can think "Well, hell, they ended with Mega Man 9 and 10 and those were great." No, I'm not counting the fan games and the smartphone game in this.

I just want to personally know the TRUTH of the situation. Are the execs just butt-hurt, even after Inafune offered to help develop a Mega Man game with his studio? Or is it just Capcom crunching numbers to avoid studio closure or shedding assets? I mean, look at the current gaming environment. Almost every other game now seems to be some Call of Duty style shooter, with bald space marines yacking it up or some cheaply made, quick-for-cash discount bin game, or Madden or mainstream whatever jock-bro game is hot at the time.

Does Mega Man with his perma-boy build and big anime eyes even have a chance of being a fraction as successful as it once was anyway? And if Capcom brought back Mega Man, which version would it be? More retro goodness, which would be more of the same and get critically banned for being too similar, or would it be a dark and gritty (but good) reboot like Devil May Cry that alienated and pissed off some fans (who will whine about anything).

One thing is for sure: It sure sucks to see Japanese gaming giants of yester-year, like Capcom and Konami, who were once an unstoppable juggernaut in the gaming industry, have to play it safe. I guess when money is tight you have to be.

I hope that Mighty Number 9 sells well. Capcom might take note and bring us a Mega Man game and/or at least start taking more risks with their games. And please none of the gem dlc bullshit in CapcomXTekken. Please no.

I seriously doubt that.
Me too, but then I never expected Nintendo to release official support for fan mods. If things like Kaizo Mario can result in Mario Maker, then maybe Street Fighter x Mega Man (which Capcom hosts on their own site) plus Mario Maker will make Capcom think a fan creation kit is a good idea. Stranger things have happened.
I just want to personally know the TRUTH of the situation.
Never gonna happen. Even an American company wouldn't get that personal. A Japanese one, no chance in hell.
I mean, look at the current gaming environment. Almost every other game now seems to be some Call of Duty style shooter
Or other gritty 3D action game... like Resident Evil or Monster Hunter. Which are doing quite well.
More retro goodness, which would be more of the same and get critically banned for being too similar, or would it be a dark and gritty (but good) reboot like Devil May Cry that alienated and pissed off some fans (who will whine about anything).
Exactly. There's no winning scenario here. Make a game that pleases the fans but won't impress most folks who've played any of the other, what, 30 pure platformers in the series, and won't make much money? Or use the name to make something totally different, alienating the fans of the classic games, but still being restricted by the series concepts?

(I personally think there's room for a dark cyberpunk Mega Man take, a la the Protomen and the Megas's interpretations, but I'm not sure how well that would fly. Maybe a movie someday.)

One thing is for sure: It sure sucks to see Japanese gaming giants of yester-year, like Capcom and Konami, who were once an unstoppable juggernaut in the gaming industry, have to play it safe.
Not sure how making more entries in several tired old franchises is any more safe than making more entries in an even older, more tired franchise. Konami at least tries to innovate as much as possible with each new Metal Gear and Castlevania game, and they actually do try to launch new IP's pretty frequently (though they only bring them to the US when they do well).
I hope that Mighty Number 9 sells well. Capcom might take note and bring us a Mega Man game and/or at least start taking more risks with their games.
I think more likely the exact opposite. If people are willing to spend $10-$15 each on, say, a million copies (which would make it more than 3 times as successful as Shovel Knight), then Capcom will be even more firmly inclined to leave retro platformers of this nature to the indie league and keep their AAA hands off.

I mean, look at the current gaming environment. Almost every other game now seems to be some Call of Duty style shooter,

I feel like this is an old age complaint that isn't actually true anymore. The gaming market will always be saturated with a certain selection of genres at a time, but it is still very diverse and there's something for everyone. I'm going to call hasty analysis on your part.

I hope that Mighty Number 9 sells well. Capcom might take note and bring us a Mega Man game and/or at least start taking more risks with their games. And please none of the gem dlc bullshit in CapcomXTekken. Please no.

Capcom would be inclined to continue doing what brings them money, as is the law of their business decisions. If Mega Man 2 is in 38th place on their bestseller list, I sincerely doubt Mighty No. 9 can top that. Or maybe it can, because of the way the market works now.

But think about this, will it rival the sales of Street Fighter, or Resident Evil? In business you need to analyze and project a reception before you go pouring resources into a product. Even if Mighty Number 9 sells well, it's targeted at a relatively small subset of people compared to something like Resident Evil which has a bigger audience and makes more money. It can sell well for its own section of the market, but is Capcom even interested in exploring that section when they have bigger and better returns to opt for elsewhere?

Companies can't do everything they please, is the problem. You can't just say "they can hire some more people to do it while they still do Resident Evil" or "they must have enough people for it if they're so big" because that's not how managing a company works. You can't just say "okay, some people want this, let's take a small bunch of our employees and stick them on it". Corporation decisions are made by people who want the most buck for the bang, and they'll delegate all of their resources to the projects with the highest return. In other words, they'd take resources they could put on a Mega Man game and put it on something that makes more money.

If Capcom has such a long history of doing exactly as I described (not making Mega Man because of poor relative income potential), then unless they have a serious change in management and/or mission philosophy, it's not gonna happen even if Mighty Number 9 does "well". Mighty Number 9 would have to rival the sales of AAA franchises for the current Capcom to say "okay, people like jump and shoot platformers again, let's go make one."

tl;dr Capcom's current management has no apparent interest in Mega Man, and you can understand why if you view it from the perspective of making money. It's not about making their customers/fanbase happy. That's not what drives their decisions. That's what drives some other companies' decisions, maybe, but Capcom specifically, no. And Mighty Number 9 can not and will never sell at the kind of numbers that big franchises do.

EDIT: All this "money-driven" corporation stuff is why Inafune left in the first place, which confirms what I'm saying. Basically, the people (employees of Capcom) over there are more focused on their own jobs and salaries than they are with creating pleasing games for fanbases. Given what Inafune has said, I'd be very surprised if my analysis on Capcom's financial motivations missed the mark.

EDIT 2: Also, everyone who has touched on "what kind of Mega Man game should they even make" hit a valid point.

Edited by Neblix

Me too, but then I never expected Nintendo to release official support for fan mods. If things like Kaizo Mario can result in Mario Maker, then maybe Street Fighter x Mega Man (which Capcom hosts on their own site) plus Mario Maker will make Capcom think a fan creation kit is a good idea. Stranger things have happened.

Capcom already made a level builder in Mega Man Powered Up, a PSP remake of the first Mega Man game, many many years ago. They're not going to revive Mega Man Universe, which was not a very good game to begin with.

Really? I didn't think about strider too much when playing this. As strider has a lot more blade slicing melee action. They even eventually give you a gun that is essentially megaman's buster.

WHY DON"T PEOPLE RECOGNIZE THE ZERO/ZX SERIES?!

I really enjoyed those series. Which my post first started out crying about that problem, then I realized gunvolt is pretty much the new ZX.

I don't think it would be viable for more zero games (Cause raisins) but I would love to see more ZX. It was essentially the Kirby Superstar of Megaman games, having a bunch of different powers and could use them on the fly, it was sweet.

I really enjoyed those series. Which my post first started out crying about that problem, then I realized gunvolt is pretty much the new ZX.

I don't think it would be viable for more zero games (Cause raisins) but I would love to see more ZX. It was essentially the Kirby Superstar of Megaman games, having a bunch of different powers and could use them on the fly, it was sweet.

And I do hate raisins.

I didn't enjoy ZX as much as Zero, because Zero had a pretty killer story for a Mega Man game. ZX was just like "ah whatever, save the world I guess, also OMEGA ZERO LIVES IN THIS ROOM BECAUSE CALLBACKS". Zero's story wasn't that great of a story on its own, but it compellingly drove the gameplay, so it was pretty successful, and actually touched on an interesting emotional character theme with the whole "this is your original body" thing.

As far as viability, 2D platformers are just not viable for big market AAA anymore. Nintendo can do it because it's first party for their own console which has found its way into many homes. NSMB is fun and light-hearted, and also extremely multi-player oriented. No Mega Man game has demonstrated the ability to match that feel at the same level, so it would be a risk to try and do so, and I doubt Capcom is interested in trying for a "family friendly living room" Mega Man game for the Wii U.

Edited by Neblix