Cyril the Wolf

Connor Pelkey

http://youtube.com/user/CyrilRufus

Artist ID: 5473

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged: Mega Man 7

Name of arrangement: Seventh Climb

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Dr. Wily 3, Dr. Wily 4

All Crediting information is on the site at http://ocremix.org/game/460/mega-man-7-snes

Lyrics: http://pastebin.com/7DDbx481 (inspired by https://www.fanfiction.net/s/3983181/1/Mega-Man-7-Shade-Of-Tomorrow)

Commentary:

For those who don't know. I am a huge fan of the Blue Bomber, if you need proof just look at my contributions to the Mega Man 9 project, Maverick Rising. This was a DoD entry I conceived of for MAGFest 9. The lyrics were inspired by a fanfiction series that I had read that novelized the original Mega Man series up to Mega Man 7. For those who don't want to read a 92,000 word fanfiction I can sum it up by basically saying that Mega Man is getting tired and fed up with Wily continually returning to the point where he almost breaks Azimov's First Law of Robotics. I wanted to capture the feelings I got from the characterization in the lyrics so I hope you feel it.

As for the arrangement itself, neither source by itself was long enough for a good ReMix/Cover to me, as a stroke of luck though they were in the same key so I just used pieces of each to create a coherent song with the typical rock song structure. This song is really a vocal-piece, so hopefully I've gotten good enough in the past three years to make your ears happy... even if you haven't liked my voice in the past.

Enjoy and thanks :D

Lyrics:

I make my climb, for the seventh time

I hope that this is the last...

A war consumes me, I wish I could break free

From the role I've been cast.

My body's shaking, sweat down my spine.

Each time, every time I know that I will win...

But he won't give up, so I'll keep on climbing...until one of us dies

Repeating the same, nothing will change as I'm rusted by time...

Chased by his guard

I'm struck by metal shards

Do they know that I feel pain?

I know it seems

I'm just a war-machine

But I have more soul than you can claim

Each guard is destroyed, the same as the last

Each time every time I know that I will win

But he won't give up, so I'll keep on climbing...until one of us dies

This can't go on, it's kept up for too long. How is he still alive?

These seven years, fueling fears... I can't do this forever...

Kill the 8 again, but this time it's easy

Their own guns pulled on them, and they crumble before me, and I...

Regret the loss of life, but I know that its useless.

I can no longer pretend I am human, but I...

Always kept hope alive, and I try to force the smile

But I am tired of this fight...

Creator tell me I chose this path...

But I didn't know then that I would be saying that

He won't give up, so I'll keep on climbing...until one of us dies

This can't go on, it's kept up for too long. How is he still alive?

These seven years, fueling fears... I can't do this forever...

Why did I choose this? Will I finally lose it, if it continues on?

Give me the answer! Give me the answer, or let it be over!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Wily Stage 3:

Dr. Wily Stage 4:

Edited by Liontamer

• 1 month later...

The arrangement was relatively straightforward, but expanded nicely with the new supporting writing and personalized well with the vocals. The vocals were crowded out in places (e.g. :31), so there were some areas where I would have tweaked the balance. That said, that was mainly an issue for the first verse, and the overall production was solid. Glad to hear some touches of vocal chorusing at :59, which I felt this needed from the start. There were also spots with the vocals where some de-essing would have helped, and some awkward Auto-Tuning at 3:02 that sounded like a glitchy flub, but nothing that was a dealbreaker on any level. The vocals with the scream fade at 3:40 was money.

In any case, good emotion with the vocals and lyrics, strong rock performances, and a simple but effective A-B-A layout of the two Wily sources. Easy call, with Connor doing a nice job per his usual.

YES

Nice guitars. Vocals across the track were decent, I actually felt they were back a little too far in the mix at times and could've been brought forward more. I felt the chorus could've felt bigger and more chorusy. At 2:47 vox are absolutely nailed, to the point where I wish the chorus had this level of harmony. Nice close out with a build up and more emotive vox and guitars (where you could've been tempted to end with simply copying and pasting elements), that extra effort is noticed.

Arrangement plays it safe for the most part, not taking too many risks - I would've loved to hear you explore the source tunes a bit more, as things feel coverish at times. You have enough things going on to keep things interesting. Although predictable, would've loved to have heard a solo somewhere in there, I think it would've taken the song to another level. Your low end stays fairly audible throughout - there are a couple points where things could be clearer, but nothing deal breaking.

Overall you've done a decent mix here. Things are clear and interesting enough throughout, but would've liked to hear more source interpretation.

YES

Edited by Jivemaster

Nice take on the source, love the emotion you put into your vocals as always. I can definitely feel the frustration that the Blue Bomber is feeling of having to save the world from Wily....again...and again...

I do feel like some of the points your vocals feel a bit strained. In some ways it does add to the feeling, but the stretch is also a bit distracting as well. Having the same issue when I try to get louder/higher probably makes it more noticeable to me, and I don't feel like it's a dealbreaker.

Nice work, Mr. Cyril!

YES

So yeah, as has been said, obviously the guitars sound great. Actually, the overall mix is really good, although I agree the vocals sink into the background at various times. Could have done with some level automation to bring them out in spots.

Arrangement is (somewhat) conservative, like Jivemaster mentioned, but adapted well. I really like the lyrics you've put together, as well. The vocal performance was occasionally strained; some bits where pitches were only marginally hit and delivery of some lines on the blase side (:28 for example), which doesn't really match the feeling of the song as a whole, but for the most part I thought they were decent.

Enjoyable across repeated listens and not a whole lot of gripes to make equates to

YES