Recreating Retro Sound Effects

Hello everyone! :)

I am interested in recreating retro sound effects from the SEGA Mega Drive and SNES. I am aware of the .vgm file format, which allows you to play video game music and to able/disable different sound channels to hear each one individually.

I was wondering if there was a way to hear sound effects from games in a similar way, for example the spring sound in Sonic The Hedgehog and the Donkey Kong Country barrel sound.

Do you mean just isolate the sounds from the background music, or split up the sound into individual components if it's multichannel?

If it's the former, a lot of old games including Sonic have the benefit on a sound test in the options.

I have been looking for the individual component option, as I have been able to find Mega Drive sound effects which have come from sound test options. I have been able to slow the sounds down using Audacity and change tempo but it is hard to breakdown individual tones!

Thanks for the info Anorax! I will certainly look into that for SNES! :D