OCR00558 - Super Mario Bros. 2 "The DarK Underground"

orkybash

Super Mario Bros. 2 'The DarK Underground'

This really ain't my cup of tea. The background chord is really annoying, and it takes far too long to develop (almost three minutes!) And I'm sorry, you can't make a repetitive theme stretch 6 minutes just by adding and subtracting elements! So unfortunately, this mix really doesn't do it for me, and I can't recommend it.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

This actually reminds me of a very old techno band called "Kraftwerk". Now seeing as I like some "01|) 5|<00L" techno, I'm very pleased to hear this kinda thing being played, as the one kinda ambient thing is held out through the song in the back reminds me alot of that older techno. *shrugs* I also love how it kinda has the feel of older techno, but has the sound of newer techno towards the middle of the song. Not much else to say aside from the fact that I really like it!

-SS

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

EEP 8O .. Well, I don't really have much to add beyond what has been said. That resonating sound that is being played throughout the song is hella annoying. But beyond that it's not all that bad. I do like that rapid-drill type soft sound I can hear in the back ground.

Mh.... Don't believe I'm going to keep this one. A tad bit too repetative for me. :(

• 1 year later...

Hmm, I guess I'm the only one who loves this remix. I agree, the first half of the song could have been shortened considerably, but the thing to remember about this piece is the atmosphere. It's a very trippy take on the underground theme from SMB2. It's not something you would listen to actively; it's more accustomed to background music while studying or chilling out. In any case, it will always hold its place on my roster of classics.

In case you don't know, DarK has remastered the piece and posted it on vgmix. If you didn't like the original, you may not like the remastered version, but for all fans of the original, the update is some nice ear candy.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I remember this one from way back. It was one of the first newly posted tracks that I DLed after I was introduced to OCR. I was still in my "download stuff only from games I know phase" before I wised up many months later. I definitelyt played this on the radio several times, because I remember the bass distorting through the radio station's soundboard and having to compensate for it with Winamp's EQ settings.

One subtle detail I never noticed with the electric guitar synth until just now was the really cool effect of trails of previous notes overlapping with new notes, something you don't catch until the sample is exposed from 3:17-3:39.

I loved the arrangement's slow burn approach. Spent many days just sitting back and letting this one loop. There's been nothing else like it on OCR. Especially being from a popular game like SMB2, this is criminally under-reviewed.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I always liked this mix. The lead is a little, and the pad is excellent, and the filtered bass too. There a long intro where the song doesn't develop at all, to the point where it would normally feel repetitive, but it just gets you entranced, sort of, and I'm glad to see this here on ocr for a change.

Once the drums come they don't really add anything, and at the same time the lead starts sounding really strange, lagging behind as it slides between its notes. Sounds a lot like me trying to play the ocarina in Zelda 5...

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Well, this one definitely takes me back.

Like I keep saying, it's hugely difficult to do ANYTHING with sources less than 8 measures long (in this case 6). But what Dark Purple did with the track was used the rhythm foundations of the source material to gradually build it in over time, its full colors finally being shown at 2:45. Sure, it may have come with the cost of repeating the riff almost vertabrim, not to mention going for a lazy fade-out ending without any form of building down, but it's still a good way to handle the source even if it's quite a dated idea.

It may not be the most well mixed track on the site, especially with the shrill loudness of the string pads throughout most of the song, but I still got to give credit to the synth guitar expression sounds really good for its time IMO. I'm still not a fan of them due to the weakness that they often provide when not done right, but as it is it's fine.

It's going to split people with its repetitive nature, ageing direction and somewhat painful production quality, but I still found it decent. I also remember his remastered cut at VGMix and liking it considerably more (does anyone still have it? It's not on the OCR Mirror :? ), so either way I felt firm with it.

• 8 months later...

Ooo, that new one addresses the issues that OA said to have had with it years back. Neat - you should post it in the WIP forums, as they get considerable traffic, too. The more attention the better.

I personally think this is a fun remix, for what it is. The source was short, so it was expanded a whole lot to compensate, and it does a very nice job keeping things interesting throughout. It has kind of a 'Celestial Popcorn' feel with that bass...

The synth/guitar in there is particularly well done, especially considering when this track came out. The chord is really neat, imo - it just needed to be toned down from time to time, to give room to the other instruments.

I like it - I find it's aged pretty well, actually. The new one has a very different feel to it, overall; almost less mystifying. The production values are better, though.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00558 - Super Mario Bros. 2 "The DarK Underground"