OCR03182 - *YES* Witcher 2 'Cáemm elaine luned'

Emunator

hello again, ocr =)

this one's a touch old (i finished it in 2012), but it's still a track i'm quite fond of.

remixer name: prophetik music
website: i shut down prophetikmusic.net, since i wasn't really using it, so i have no website currently.
userid: 8761

name of game: witcher 2
name of arrangement: Caemm elaine luned
individual song arranged: dwarven stone upon dwarven stone (#4 on the soundtrack, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_jizNCiInw). the track is quite spacey for most of it, and not really a true 'song' until 1:55, so that's where my arrangement started.
your own comments:

i contacted katethegreat19 in 2011 for some assistance remixing this track, for an unrealized album. she professed to being quite busy (this was before her album came out), so she recommended a Finnish friend that she knew through YouTube, "ShyTooShy" (that's Merrigan's YouTube channel's name). i got in touch with her and she was quite interested in putting this together. we nailed down some initial background tracks, got an idea for the actual melody and how we wanted to do the vocals, and she wrote some original lyrics using the Lore pages on the Witcher's wiki in in-game elvish (that are startlingly applicable to the storyline in the Witcher and the Witcher 2, actually).
real life hit, then, and i spent almost a year struggling to find time to compose. i finally was able to put some time in to finish the backing tracks when my wife finished her masters work. Merrigan recorded her parts, and we were able to get them mastered and into the track. then, in true prophetik fashion, i sat on the track for a year and a half while doing nothing with it even though it was finished. i figure it's time to let this one out into the world.

on the technical side, the majority of this was done using FL Studio and Melodyne, with Omnisphere, EDIROL Orchestral, Elastik, and Kontakt 4 making appearances. nothing complex on the mastering side, since i'm not very good at that part anyways =)

enjoy!

Lyrics:
Caemm elaine luned
Mire belleteyn eate blath
esseath feainnewedd
gar'ean ilamas invaerne

Va faill eate
ceadmil gwen tedd
Midvaerne shaent

Me wedd, caelm caerme
dice dearme, evelienn esse...
Gynvael, evelienn esse gynvael
A'taeghane minne, me Luned

Translation:
Come, beautiful daughter
Look at the blossoming summer-flower
You are a child of the Sun
consider the maturing winter

Farewell summer
Greetings white season
Midwinter song

My child, slowly destiny says goodnight
everything will be...
Ice, everything will be ice
Today love, my daughter.

Source: https://youtu.be/d_jizNCiInw?t=1m55s

Edited by djpretzel

• 2 months later...

It seems it was this track's destiny to be further delayed after your many delays. Nevertheless, it is a lovely track, the vocals and lyrics are beautiful and the instrumentation is well performed. The string samples show their sample-ness occasionally (2:04-2:24 for example), but generally they are used very well. Mixing and balance are appropriate.

The arrangement is very nice, source is present throughout and you captured the vibe of the original quite well while making it your own as a vocal track. Impressive and beautiful.

YES

Pretty sweet. Arrangement easily checks out, and I appreciate being told where the first usage of the source starts after the difficulty of my last vote on another track. :lol:

The soundscape was a bit on the murky side, but a strong listen nonetheless. Nice job, Brad!

Also, DEFINITELY don't take this the wrong way, but I'm OK with Kate not being able to be on this track, but only because it put Merrigan's great vocals on my radar now. Props to Kate for making the connection!

Great, emotive performance and a beautiful end result! Quite the introduction to the music of The Witcher series for anyone unfamiliar. :-)

YES

This is yet another quality addition to your growing body of work, Brad. Your music always has a very professional, cinematic quality to it, which is impressive because every one of your submissions seems to tackle a completely new genre. Your arrangement maintains the solemn feel of the absolutely-gorgeous source tune, but expands the instrumentation in a very natural way. Merrigan's superb vocals feel like a perfectly natural addition, I was truly surprised to find out that the original source didn't already have vocals included in the first place.

Very easy call :-)

YES