Looking for a midi controller that feels similar to a real piano.

Bejack

Hi everyone. So i began taking some piano lessons a while back and there's quite a difference between when i go to my lessons and play on a real piano and when i practice at home with my Acorn Masterkey 49. I was thinking about changing my midi keyboard and was wondering if there was something not too expensive that would be close to the feeling of playing a real piano. I'm looking for a keyboard that has 88 keys and i don't need it to have a ton of knobs/wheels. I don't know much about semi-weighted versus fully weighted keys. So far i have found the Alesis Q88 and the M-Audio Keystation 88ES. They both sell for 199$ canadian and are both semi-weighted. Does anybody own these keyboards and can comment on them or could you recommend something else? As for price range i'm not a rich guy but if its worth saving up for a better product then i would go for that option. Thanks for your input.

Well, I own for my own a M-Audio Axiom 49 2nd Gen and I also play real piano from time to time. There's difference between semi-weighted keys and full weighted keys, and the difference is because of the hammers of the piano, they have their own weight.

I think that a full weighted keys MIDI keyboard doesn't exist because of what I told you, so semi weighted keys are the closest thing you will find. The bad thing are the pedals, but if you don't use too much the pedals apart from the sustain pedal, you'll be fine.

You can also probably try some keyboards in your closest musical store to feel the difference, but you get used to it.

EDIT: I just found that, MIDI hammer-action weigthed keys keyboards exist. You should search more about it, but they're expensive :<

Edited by Jakos

After a bit of research and a lot of reading i'm starting to think that i will have to save up a bit of money to get something more expansive and of better quality. I'm looking for a few more features like 88 fully weighted keys and some aftertouch. I'm still looking in the used market but so far i haven't found anything to my liking. I will continue searching in the used market but at the same time my eyes are set on the Akai MPK88. I'm still looking at other options though.