Super Mario Land - Coin room + Easton Kingdom

Dafydd

To those of you who have listened my WiP's (5): Which song should I complete first?  

281 members have voted

1. 1. To those of you who have listened my WiP's (5): Which song should I complete first?

• Walking on Clouds
    • the Yoshi's Island one
    • In the Summer
    • This one
    • Artificial Idiocy

Well... I'm an idiot. :( It's been such a long time since I've played that game, I forgot there is no underground theme in this game, other than the Pyramid theme. Just checked to make sure, too. Sorry for the confusion, David! I'll be more careful next time to have my facts straight. Let me try my suggestion again:

Just add another melody line to your coin room theme, and everything will sound good to me. Another xylophone, or a vibraphone would work well there, IMO.

Other than that, just keep going! It sounds really good so far!

First post :D

Fantastic, FANTASTIC mixes of each of the different songs. The problem is the two sections don't blend well together, and I that muted/distorted guitar sound during the transition isn't pleasant at all. The two sections on their own are excellent though, I couldn't help but laugh during the first one, and the second one is an awesome combination of Egyptian-style music with the drum 'n bass rhythm.

My suggestion would be to divide them up and make them two seperate mixes, or at least mix them with songs that you can make of a similar style. I can see why you put them together - the Mario Land songs go for less than 30 seconds each, so fusing them to get length would be an essential.

And in regards to Reason's inability to change tempo...I feel your pain dude, I'm a Reason user myself =( The closest you can get is to select a section of music and use "Change Events" to scale the tempo. Just my 2 cents ;)

The transition will be improved, I promise. The guitars have already been changed for a real recording, but I haven't published a wip containing the new guitars yet, since I want to do more work on the song before publishing wip 2.

Meanwhile, I've posted another wip of mine, which has recieved very few comments. Please share your thoughts on that one as well. :)

-WHOA your levels are all out of whack. Raising the volume instead of using a compressor is a n00b mistake man.

-The transition is really rough try having a string prelude inbetween or a break just not what you have now.

-Try mixing up your drums more just in the first part

Overall excellent mix

Ps check out my mix Broken block Tetris

Well I suspect you were trying to give it omph and snap. [i do it to all my drums:)] If thats the case apply a hard compressor with some gain on w/e it is you want to blast.

If it gets a little outta control make sure you at least apply a compressor to the whole song with a negative gain and a little softer.

You should be doing anywayz during the mastering process :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The votes for the Yoshi's Island remix seem to tip the balance here. I'll get around to working on it soon. :) Meanwhile, here's some fun stuff for you: http://phytrepighlet.googlepages.com/warioblast.mp3

Nineko told me I should make it, so I gave it a try. It's still too early a WiP to deserve its own thread yet, but it will have one eventually. :wink: My plans are go Russian stylee with "Hey!" shouts, male choir, russian lyrics, etc.