Midi USB Interface thingy...

wasnt sure if this should be posted here or under tech help.

Im looking to buy a usb midi interface (I think thats what the proper term is). Its the box that from a USB male end to a box, to the two in/out USB plugs. my school had them and I should have looked into what brand they had.

my laptop is my main PC now and of course it doesnt have a midi port. just wondering if anyone has experience with these? how much will they run me? brands to stay away from etc...

Laptop?

MIDIsport!

You can either get this one:

midiman_midisport_uno_pimx_154560.jpg

I have had one of these forever. Could never get it working for some reason.

Can you guys post exactly the steps you used to get it to work? I'm using a pretty new laptop with Windows XP Pro.

I couldn't get mine to work for some reason. My keyboard just wouldn't respond to the round-shaped midi connector (even though it has such a connector), but it works just fine with a 15-pin joystick cable.

So it might be something wrong with my keyboard itself? Hrmmm, interesting. I never thought of that.

I got the midisport uno, and it's awesome. Affordable and does exactly what it's supposed to :D

I am curious to hear more. Did you have to install any of the plugins and drivers on the CD, and was doing every step on the instructions (I think there's atleast 12 of them) necessary to get it to work? How do you normally record? Do you save it into your keyboard memory, then send the bulk file into a program, or do you just open up your midi program (anvil studios, Cakewalk, FL Studios, etc.) and then press record in it, and the notes automatically show up when you play?

Let's sit by the campfire and you can tell me all about your midi making adventures, since you have some successful stories to share.

Okay okay okay. This is gonna be an awesome 800th post :D

At first it was a little wierd. I did the installation process that was on the cd, and that went fine. I pluggd in the UNO, and opened up Cakewalk Sonar, found a track that I had put some edirol sounds over, and played my keyboard. SUCCESS! Though there was delay, it was playing through my computer! I tried recording some stuff, and it came in just as I had played it, with velocities and everything. However, at some point, windows pulled the "there's a thing in your usb, look for drivers?" deal, which made me angry. So I said yes, looked for the drivers on the cd which was still in there, and basically did the installation all over again. It said it wasn't cleared for Windows XP, but it works fine, and I've heard that from other people too.

But yeah, I normally record as I'm playing. The delay confuses me a bit, so what I do is turn my computer volume down, keyboard volume up (sometimes I have to turn the keyboard off and on so that it makes it's own sound), and play like that. I haven't tried using anvil studios or anything like that yet, but I'm not as concerned about that right now.

So yeah it works well. :D

Doug, have you tried turning down your latency in Sonar? You might be able to turn it down without making the audio quality suffer.

There's no large latency limit with USB, so you can turn it down in whatever sequencer you use to get a more accurate response time. However if you turn the audio latency down too much, the audio starts to crackle and become ugly. It's important to find the balance between quality and speed :)

working for some reason.

Can you guys post exactly the steps you used to get it to work? I'm using a pretty new laptop with Windows XP Pro.

Yeah, I had trouble getting it going when I first got it. Make sure you download the updated drivers from the MAudio website. Then, run that installation program rather than the one with the CD, and make sure the USB end of the product isn't plugged in. Make sure you haven't installed the original drivers too... remove em if you have. Then just follow the instructions the install app gives you and you should be good.

Another problem I ran into is that anytime I cracked open my machine to add some hardware, the drivers mysteriously disappeared when I turned it on again, and I had to re-install them.

Thank god my new EMU 0404 has it's own midi drivers, and has given me none of these problems. Bye-bye Uno. 8)

Just a heads up-- in my experience, the midisport uno does not work with yamaha keyboards. Many people have reported being able to send midi data to the keyboard, but are unable to send info from the keyboard to computer (thus making it impossible to record). I've tried the midisport uno with both the PSR 2000 and PSR 275 and I can confirm that it does not work with either.

If you have a yamaha, you're better off getting a yamaha midi-usb cable. Otherwise the uno should be fine.

Okay, so I see that some keyboard models are a bit sketchy when it comes to working with this cable. Should I worry about using midi-to-USB cables with 20 year old synths? :o I guess it's irrelevant since midi is supposed to be universal, so as long as it can send midi signals I should probably be fine, right?

Okay, so I see that some keyboard models are a bit sketchy when it comes to working with this cable. Should I worry about using midi-to-USB cables with 20 year old synths? :o I guess it's irrelevant since midi is supposed to be universal, so as long as it can send midi signals I should probably be fine, right?

my keyboard is only a few years younger than I am :D

got mine awhile ago but have been out of town so I didnt have a chance to play with it.

all I did to get it working was put he CD in, install the right drivers (did the wrong one the first time somehow) and plugged it into the USB port. installed ASIO4All and opened up Cubase and set it as the mini in port. no issues at all so far.

thanks for the info!